Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Picking up the latest text value in a column

I'm currently working on a Ship Ticket template that should populate in
certain fields of the form the latest text information found in a worksheet.
This would allow me print a Ship Ticket for my latest entry in that column.

I was able to use the following formula from previous posts, which helped me
grab the latest number value in that column:

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,A:A,A2))

However, for fields containing names and dates, I would like to find a
formula that would pull those into the specific fields in my template.

In advance, many thanks for your help!!!

Mag

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi there,

For the last textual value in a column you could use ...

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(REPT("z",255),A:A,A2))

For getting the last value in a column regardless of textual or numeric
(which includes dates as well) you could use ...

=INDEX(A:A,MAX(MATCH({"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ",9.999 99999999999E+307},A:A)),A2)

For more information take a look at Bob Phillips website...

http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html

HTH

--
Zack Barresse

"djmagcruznyc" wrote in message
I'm currently working on a Ship Ticket template that should populate in
certain fields of the form the latest text information found in a
worksheet.
This would allow me print a Ship Ticket for my latest entry in that
column.

I was able to use the following formula from previous posts, which helped
me
grab the latest number value in that column:

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,A:A,A2))

However, for fields containing names and dates, I would like to find a
formula that would pull those into the specific fields in my template.

In advance, many thanks for your help!!!

Mag

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can also use this shorter formula to get the last value in a column
regardless if it is text or numeric...

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A65535<""),A:A)

Rick

"Zack Barresse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That and other solutions are found in the link I posted. Many options Bob
has compiled. The best (IMHO) out there.

--
Zack Barresse

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can't thank you guys enough for your help on this!!! I finally got my
template to do what it needed to do.

Many thanks for also responding so quickly...this will save me lots of time
and headaches.

Happy trails guys, and best wishes
Mag ;)