Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Filter by Top 10 doesn't work

Using XL 2003 SP3, I'm trying to filter a column by Top 10. I have
autofilter turned on, and I see the Top 10 filter option in the drop down
menu for the column I want to filter against., but when I select Top 10
nothing happens....no dialog box opens...nothing. Selecting the custom sort
causes a dialog box to open for that function, and all the other
filter/sorting options in the drop down menu work, so I'm baffled what's
wrong with the Top 10 filter. The column I'm sorting contains domain names
(like msn.com) and IP addresses (195.67.68.94), and I suspect the mix is the
source of the problem. I've tried formatting the cells as General, Numbers
and Text, and it makes no difference on my ability to filter Top 10. I can
filter by Top 10 on other columns that contain only numbers, even if the
column is formatted as General or Text category rather than as Number.

If Top 10 doesn't work, is there another way to filter a column of that sort
to show the most commonly appearing entries within a column?

Thanks.