Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculating STDEV and other Calcs based on another cells value

Hello,

I am trying to calculate a standard deviation on a column if another column
contains a certain value. I have been able to calculate the average using
the AverageIFS function, but can't find a way to do it for the stdev
function. For example, if there are 3 people throwing a base ball and I have
entered 20 data points for each. I would like to calculate the standard
deviation based on if the name equals "Joe, "Bob" or "Scott".

Thanks,

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Names in the range A1:A10
Numeric values in the range B1:10

Entered as an array** :

=STDEV(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1:A10,{"joe","bob","scot t"},0)),B1:B10))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Scott" <Scott @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to calculate a standard deviation on a column if another
column
contains a certain value. I have been able to calculate the average using
the AverageIFS function, but can't find a way to do it for the stdev
function. For example, if there are 3 people throwing a base ball and I
have
entered 20 data points for each. I would like to calculate the standard
deviation based on if the name equals "Joe, "Bob" or "Scott".

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=STDEV(IF((Team="Pirates")*(ISNUMBER(MATCH(Pitcher ,{"joe","bob","scott"},0))),B1:B10))

Where Team and Pitcher are named ranges.

Don't forget to array enter!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP