Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Lookup order

When you lookup text in a column does it have to be in alphabetical order?
When I type in the following it works as I want it to.
=Lookup(P2,{"Advanced","Regular"."Title"},{"A","R" ,"X"})

If I use: =Lookup(P2,{"Title","Advanced","Regular"},{"X","A" ,"R"}) title
doesn't list X, etc.

How does the order of what you enter in the first set of brackets correspond
or link to the letters or text in the second set?

Thanks for helping a rookie.
nordic
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The Excel help file says the lookup values must be place in ascending order.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Nordic"
wrote in message
When you lookup text in a column does it have to be in alphabetical order?
When I type in the following it works as I want it to.
=Lookup(P2,{"Advanced","Regular"."Title"},{"A","R" ,"X"})

If I use: =Lookup(P2,{"Title","Advanced","Regular"},{"X","A" ,"R"}) title
doesn't list X, etc.

How does the order of what you enter in the first set of brackets correspond
or link to the letters or text in the second set?
Thanks for helping a rookie.
nordic
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes.

The original formula I posted to your other thread works only when the items
between the first set of { } are in alphabetical order as you have found by
experimenting.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP