Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jo Jo is offline

Default calculations not working

"Sum" function is returning a zero value for a list of positive numbers.
Another function I tried to enter showed the formula in the cell instead of
the result. (I have checked that "automatic" is selected in tools,
calculations.)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sounds like text instead of numbers.

See if this returns a result

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A20))

If so, it is text, and should be corrected.

--
HTH

Bob

"Jo" wrote in message
"Sum" function is returning a zero value for a list of positive numbers.
Another function I tried to enter showed the formula in the cell instead
of
the result. (I have checked that "automatic" is selected in tools,
calculations.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Jo,

As Bob has already said it sounds like your cells are
formatted as text. If that is the case then copy a blank
cell, select all of your data, and EditPaste SpecialAdd.

That will convert your text to numbers.

Another possibility, is if you copied the data from a website,
you may be running into the non-breaking space problem.

To get rid of non-breaking spaces.
Select your data.
Go to EditReplace
Replace what: Alt+0160
Replace with: leave this blank
Click OK

To use Alt+0160 hold down the Alt key and type 0160 on the
number pad and not the numbers at the top of your keypad.

You may also need to do the same process using a normal
space in place of the Alt+0160.

HTH
Martin

"Jo" wrote in message
"Sum" function is returning a zero value for a list of positive numbers.
Another function I tried to enter showed the formula in the cell instead
of
the result. (I have checked that "automatic" is selected in tools,
calculations.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am having a similar problem. My worksheet has several rows of data and I am
trying to use the autosum tool in the ribbon it is not consistant, sometimes
it will calculate the sum and other times it puts the formula in the where
the sum should be. If I use the copy function from one that worked and paste
into one that didn't it magically returns a result. Why won't the autosum
work?

"Jo" wrote:

"Sum" function is returning a zero value for a list of positive numbers.
Another function I tried to enter showed the formula in the cell instead of
the result. (I have checked that "automatic" is selected in tools,
calculations.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Sounds like you have two problems.

1) Is the same as Jo's, some of your cells are formatted as text.

2) You have calculation set to manual. In previous versions this
could be found at ToolsOptionsCalculations Tab.

My knowledge of XL2007 is limited to a 10 minute look around,
but I think you will find the Automatic setting by going to the
Home button then in the bottom right corner of the dialog box
click on Excel Options and look for the Calculations setting.
You may have to do a bit of detective work to find it.
Try the Help file for starters, put calculations into the answer wizard.

If this is no help to you then I suggest to repost your question
at the top of the group. This is a very old thread and I doubt whether
very many people will still be monitoring it.

Please let me know here if you are going to repost.

HTH
Martin