Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default number format

I create a lot of spreadsheet that require number calculations. Since I now
must use Excel 2007 it seems that no matter which number format I choose I am
constantly getting additional zeros - even with the phone number format. How
can I prevent this? Must I really place a period behind each entry? That is
too time consuming and confusing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your problem is similar to mine. When I put a number in a cell, such
as 17, it is rendered as 1.7 -- so, as you found, you must add a
period.

My old version of Excel had Tools/Options and a way to fix this, but
not the 2008 version.

Solutions to eliminating the need to add a decimal point appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:05:37 -0700 (PDT), davidcay wrote:

My old version of Excel had Tools/Options and a way to fix this, but
not the 2008 version.

Click the Office button in the upper left; then Excel Options at the bottom
center of the window that opens. Then select Advanced and look at the Editing
options -- deselect "automatically insert a decimal point".
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perhaps buy and read a book on Excel? I know it's hard to read about the
software you're trying to use because it does require some effort and does
make some sense, but over a period of time you'll be grateful.

Tyro