Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default hoW TO LOCK AND UNLOCK A CELL USING A FUNCTION/FORMULA

i WANTED TO LOCK & UNLOCK A CELL IN EXCEL DEPENDING UPON A VALUE THAT IS
RETURNED FRO A CELL, USING FORMULAS BUT CANNOT DO IT.PLEASE HELP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use Data Validation.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200780

"Ridhi" wrote:

i WANTED TO LOCK & UNLOCK A CELL IN EXCEL DEPENDING UPON A VALUE THAT IS
RETURNED FRO A CELL, USING FORMULAS BUT CANNOT DO IT.PLEASE HELP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

i have tried that also but not getting the desired result,in the format
option there is no option for protect & hide a cell

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Use Data Validation.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200780

"Ridhi" wrote:

i WANTED TO LOCK & UNLOCK A CELL IN EXCEL DEPENDING UPON A VALUE THAT IS
RETURNED FRO A CELL, USING FORMULAS BUT CANNOT DO IT.PLEASE HELP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Apr 21, 1:23 am, Ridhi wrote:
i WANTED TO LOCK & UNLOCK A CELL IN EXCEL DEPENDING UPON A VALUE THAT IS
RETURNED FRO A CELL, USING FORMULAS BUT CANNOT DO IT.PLEASE HELP

I don't think you can do this with formulas, you would need VBA. Maybe
if you describe what the worksheet is supposed to do, options could be
offered.

Data validation should be fairly useful as an alternative that doesn't
require locking the cell. It can prevent wrong answers entered by
direct typing, although not by copy/paste.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Thanks for reverting...I am trying to creat a excel for my company where in
it will calculate the price of each product.

Now providing options to select from a drop down list containg various
values, like say if we select " special " from the drop down list then the
Cell H5 should be deactivated/lock & cell I10& J10 should get activated for
putting in the values for further calculations.once we select any other
option from the drop down list then cell I10& J10 should be deactivated &
Cell H5 should be activated for further claculations.

Please help me with the solution.

Regards
Ridhi

"Spiky" wrote:

On Apr 21, 1:23 am, Ridhi wrote:
i WANTED TO LOCK & UNLOCK A CELL IN EXCEL DEPENDING UPON A VALUE THAT IS
RETURNED FRO A CELL, USING FORMULAS BUT CANNOT DO IT.PLEASE HELP

I don't think you can do this with formulas, you would need VBA. Maybe
if you describe what the worksheet is supposed to do, options could be
offered.

Data validation should be fairly useful as an alternative that doesn't
require locking the cell. It can prevent wrong answers entered by
direct typing, although not by copy/paste.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Spiky" wrote:
On Apr 21, 1:23 am, Ridhi wrote:
i WANTED TO LOCK & UNLOCK A CELL IN EXCEL DEPENDING UPON A VALUE THAT IS
RETURNED FRO A CELL, USING FORMULAS BUT CANNOT DO IT.PLEASE HELP

I don't think you can do this with formulas, you would need VBA. Maybe
if you describe what the worksheet is supposed to do, options could be
offered.

Data validation should be fairly useful as an alternative that doesn't
require locking the cell. It can prevent wrong answers entered by
direct typing, although not by copy/paste.

A VBA macro could be written to do all that. That's beyond my
expertise, though.

I have done something similar to your needs, although yours sounds
more complex. In my file, I highlight all the cells where data can be
entered with a background color. These are also the only unlocked
cells. But on some pages I use conditional formatting to highlight the
cells only when they need data entry, also determined from a dropdown
list like yours. I have to let them be unlocked all the time, but
since all the usable cells are highlighted, people don't seem to
notice a few unlocked cells that they aren't supposed to use. Also, my
other formulas ignore them if data is not supposed to be there since
they are also partly based on the dropdown lists. So even if they
enter something where they shouldn't, it does no good.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thanka alot dear