Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Problem with Index function

I am trying to use the following index function. Seems to me like it is ok,
but when I type this into the cell I do not get a result, I simply see the
formula (I do not have the view formula option selected). I am using Excel
2007.

=INDEX(Results!$D$2:$D$21,MATCH($B3,Results!$A$2:$ A$21,0))

I have tried to make this an array formula, but that does not work. When I
select Ctrl+Select+Enter nothing happens.

What I am trying to do is find a match to cell B3 in one worksheet to an
entry in column A from worksheet "Results" spreadsheet. I then want the
corresponding entry in column D from the "Results" spreadsheet to be my
answer.

I should also note that the entries in column D are text and not number or
formula entries.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you see the formula in a cell rather than the value, the problem usually
is that the cell was formatted to Text before the formula was entered.

1. clear the cell
2. format as General
3. re-enter the formula
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007h

"Steve M" wrote:

I am trying to use the following index function. Seems to me like it is ok,
but when I type this into the cell I do not get a result, I simply see the
formula (I do not have the view formula option selected). I am using Excel
2007.

=INDEX(Results!$D$2:$D$21,MATCH($B3,Results!$A$2:$ A$21,0))

I have tried to make this an array formula, but that does not work. When I
select Ctrl+Select+Enter nothing happens.

What I am trying to do is find a match to cell B3 in one worksheet to an
entry in column A from worksheet "Results" spreadsheet. I then want the
corresponding entry in column D from the "Results" spreadsheet to be my
answer.

I should also note that the entries in column D are text and not number or
formula entries.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Steve,

Sounds like the cell was preformatted, as text. Format as General, then re-enter the formula.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Steve M" wrote in message ...
I am trying to use the following index function. Seems to me like it is ok, but when I type this
into the cell I do not get a result, I simply see the formula (I do not have the view formula
option selected). I am using Excel 2007.

=INDEX(Results!$D$2:$D$21,MATCH($B3,Results!$A$2:$ A$21,0))

I have tried to make this an array formula, but that does not work. When I select
Ctrl+Select+Enter nothing happens.

What I am trying to do is find a match to cell B3 in one worksheet to an entry in column A from
worksheet "Results" spreadsheet. I then want the corresponding entry in column D from the
"Results" spreadsheet to be my answer.

I should also note that the entries in column D are text and not number or formula entries.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You shouldn't even need to clear the cell. Just format as General, put the
formula into edit mode (by clicking in it or by F2), and then accept the
formula again.
--
David Biddulph