Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default INDEX PROBLEM...I THINK

Hi,

I have a work sheet of 5 columns, in the 6 th column I want to look at
the other 5 columns (same row) and return information from the other 5
columns. There may be blanks in some of the adjacent cells in that
row. If any of the information that appears in the row more than
once, I want that value returned in the adjacent cell in the 6 th
column. If there is a mismatch of any data in those 5 adjacent cells,
I'd like to see "Mismatch" as a return in the adjacent cell in the 6
th column. See below:

apples apples apples apples
pears pears pears pears
apples apples pears Mismatch
oranges oranges oranges oranges oranges
peaches peaches peaches peaches peaches

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(COUNTA(A1:E1)=5,"",IF(SUMPRODUCT((A1:E1<"")/COUNTIF(A1:E1,A1:E1&""))1,"Mismatch",A1))

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a work sheet of 5 columns, in the 6 th column I want to look at
the other 5 columns (same row) and return information from the other 5
columns. There may be blanks in some of the adjacent cells in that
row. If any of the information that appears in the row more than
once, I want that value returned in the adjacent cell in the 6 th
column. If there is a mismatch of any data in those 5 adjacent cells,
I'd like to see "Mismatch" as a return in the adjacent cell in the 6
th column. See below:

apples apples apples apples
pears pears pears pears
apples apples pears Mismatch
oranges oranges oranges oranges oranges
peaches peaches peaches peaches peaches

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Steve" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi,

I have a work sheet of 5 columns, in the 6 th column I want to look at
the other 5 columns (same row) and return information from the other 5
columns. There may be blanks in some of the adjacent cells in that
row. If any of the information that appears in the row more than
once, I want that value returned in the adjacent cell in the 6 th
column. If there is a mismatch of any data in those 5 adjacent cells,
I'd like to see "Mismatch" as a return in the adjacent cell in the 6
th column. See below:

apples apples apples apples
pears pears pears pears
apples apples pears Mismatch
oranges oranges oranges oranges oranges
peaches peaches peaches peaches peaches- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the quick response. However, when I have situation where
there is a blank in the first cell of that row and everything else is
a match, I get a "0" instead of the matching value. For example, in
the example above, if cell A1 were blank, I wouldn't get
"apples", ...the desired result...

Please advise,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT((A1:E1<"")/COUNTIF(A1:E1,A1:E1&""))=1,LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:E10),A1:E1),"Mismatch")

--

HTH,

RD

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 19, 11:05 am, "Bob Phillips" wrote:
=IF(COUNTA(A1:E1)=5,"",IF(SUMPRODUCT((A1:E1<"")/COUNTIF(A1:E1,A1:E1&""))1*,"Mismatch",A1))

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Feb 19, 11:49 am, "RagDyeR" wrote:
Try this:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT((A1:E1<"")/COUNTIF(A1:E1,A1:E1&""))=1,LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:E10),*A1:E1),"Mismatch")

--

HTH,

RD

"Steve" wrote in message

oups.com...
On Feb 19, 11:05 am, "Bob Phillips" wrote:

=IF(COUNTA(A1:E1)=5,"",IF(SUMPRODUCT((A1:E1<"")/COUNTIF(A1:E1,A1:E1&""))1**,"Mismatch",A1))

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Steve" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

That did work better, but now I have those situations where there is
only one entry in the entire row. Where this is the case, I need that
entry to appear in the adjacent cell in 6 th column. I apologize for
my example not being that clear. I threw it together in a hurry this
morning without considering all of the possible scenerios.

Regards,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The formula I suggested will do that.

Have you tried it in that scenario?

RD

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 19, 11:49 am, "RagDyeR" wrote:
Try this:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT((A1:E1<"")/COUNTIF(A1:E1,A1:E1&""))=1,LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:E10),*A1:E1),"Mismatch")

--

HTH,

RD

oups.com...

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Feb 19, 2:37 pm, "Ragdyer" wrote:
The formula I suggested will do that.

Have you tried it in that scenario?

RD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------"Steve" wrote in message

oups.com...
On Feb 19, 11:49 am, "RagDyeR" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT((A1:E1<"")/COUNTIF(A1:E1,A1:E1&""))=1,LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:E10),**A1:E1),"Mismatch")

--

HTH,

RD

roups.com...

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

It seems to work when using the Fruits I have in my example, however
my spreadsheet list names of customers, like "ALCATEL-LUCENT",
"NOKIA", "NORTEL", "MOTOROLA", etc... For some reason it won't work
when I apply it to the customer names.....

Regards,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It sounds like your data is inconsistent, even though it may "look"
identical.

Are these names keyed in ... returns from formulas ... or imported from
other sources?

RD

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 19, 2:37 pm, "Ragdyer" wrote:
The formula I suggested will do that.

Have you tried it in that scenario?

RD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------"Steve"
wrote in message

oups.com...
On Feb 19, 11:49 am, "RagDyeR" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT((A1:E1<"")/COUNTIF(A1:E1,A1:E1&""))=1,LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:E10),**A1:E1),"Mismatch")

--

HTH,

RD

roups.com...

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Feb 19, 3:18 pm, "Ragdyer" wrote:
It sounds like your data is inconsistent, even though it may "look"
identical.

Are these names keyed in ... returns from formulas ... or imported from
other sources?

RD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------"Steve" wrote in message

ups.com...
On Feb 19, 2:37 pm, "Ragdyer" wrote:

The formula I suggested will do that.

Have you tried it in that scenario?

RD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*"Steve"
wrote in message

roups.com...
On Feb 19, 11:49 am, "RagDyeR" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT((A1:E1<"")/COUNTIF(A1:E1,A1:E1&""))=1,LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:E10),***A1:E1),"Mismatch")

--

HTH,

RD

roups.com...

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

All of the data is returned from formulas...

Regards,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(COUNTA(A6:E6)=0,"",IF(SUMPRODUCT((A6:E6<"")/COUNTIF(A6:E6,A6:E6&""))1,"Mismatch",LOOKUP(2,1/(A6:E60),A6:E6)))

--
---
HTH

Bob

oups.com...

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well ... would you care to share the formulas?

RD

<snip

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Feb 19, 4:19 pm, "Ragdyer" wrote:
Well ... would you care to share the formulas?

RD

<snip

Not sure I understand what the formulas used to create the data will
do to help, but here they a

In Cell F2:

=IF(LEFT(D2,3)="LUC","ALCATEL-
LUCENT",IF(ISERROR(FIND("MdlrC",C2,1)),IF(ISERROR( FIND("OneBTS",C2,1)),IF(LEFT(D2,3)="MOT","MOTOROLA ",IF(LEFT(D2,3)="NOR","NORTEL",IF(ISERROR(FIND("Mi niC",C2,1)),IF(LEFT(E2,3)="NTN","NORTEL",""),"ALCA TEL-
LUCENT") )),"ALCATEL-
LUCENT"),IF(LEFT(D2,3)="NOR","NORTEL","")))

In Cell G2:
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("MCPLR-INFIN",C2,1)), IF(LEFT(D2,3)="ALC","ALCATEL-
LUCENT",IF(LEFT(D2,6)="HUGHES","HUGHES NETWORK
SYSTEMS",IF(LEFT(D2,6)="METAWA","METAWAVE
COMMUNICATIONS",IF(ISERROR(FIND("SERIES_II",C2,1)) ,IF(LEFT(E2,3)="300","ALCATEL-
LUCENT",IF(LEFT(D2,3)="NOK","NOKIA","")),"ALCATEL-
LUCENT")))),"ERICSSON")

In Cell H2:
=IF(LEFT(D2,8)="COMMUNIC","CCI",IF(ISERROR(FIND("K S",E2,1)),IF(LEFT(D2,6)="ANDREW","ALCATEL-
LUCENT",IF(LEFT(E2,3)="NOR","NORTEL",IF(LEFT(E2,3) ="910","MOTOROLA",IF(OR(LEFT(E2,3)="01D",LEFT(E2,3 )="016"),"MOTOROLA",IF(LEFT(E2,3)="018","MOTOROLA" ,""))))),"ALCATEL-
LUCENT"))

In Cell I2:
=IF(LEFT(E2,3)="408","ALCATEL-
LUCENT",IF(LEFT(E2,3)="918","MOTOROLA",IF(ISERROR( FIND("ERIC",D2,1)),IF(LEFT(E2,3)="201","ALCATEL-
LUCENT",IF(LEFT(E2,3)="920","ALCATEL-
LUCENT",IF(LEFT(E2,3)="NTU","NORTEL",IF(LEFT(E2,3) ="407","ALCATEL-
LUCENT",""))) ),"ERICSSON")))

In Cell J2:
=IF(LEFT(D2,3)="LUC","ALCATEL-
LUCENT",IF(ISERROR(FIND("NT",E2,1)),IF(ISERROR(FIN D("KS",E2,1)),
IF(ISERROR(FIND("MicrC",C2,1)),
IF(ISERROR(FIND("OneBTS",C2,1)),IF(LEFT(E2,3)="918 ","MOTOROLA",""),"ALCATEL-
LUCENT"),IF(OR(LEFT(E2,3)="407",LEFT(E2,3)="408"), "ALCATEL-
LUCENT","")),"ALCATEL-LUCENT"),"NORTEL"))

And the formula that I had used from the suggestions above has been re-
written to accommodate the data being in columns F thru J is:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT((F2:I2<"")/COUNTIF(F2:I2,F2:I2&""))=1,LOOKUP(2,1/
(F2:I20),F2:I2),"Mismatch")

Regards,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Feb 19, 5:46 pm, "Steve" wrote:
[...]

I think it has something to do with the fact that all of my data is
the
result of formulas and actual values. If I remove one of the formulas
in the very left hand column and the value I want as a result is in
the
second column, then the correct response will appear.

Regards,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See if this works:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT((F2:I2<"")/COUNTIF(F2:I2,F2:I2&""))=1,LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(F2:J2)),F2:J2),"Mismatch")
--
HTH,

RD

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 19, 5:46 pm, "Steve" wrote:
On Feb 19, 4:19 pm, "Ragdyer" wrote:

Well ... would you care to share the formulas?

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Feb 19, 9:09 pm, "Ragdyer" wrote:
See if this works:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT((F2:I2<"")/COUNTIF(F2:I2,F2:I2&""))=1,LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK*(F2:J2)),F2:J2),"Mismatch")
--
HTH,

RD

"Steve" wrote in message

oups.com...
On Feb 19, 5:46 pm, "Steve" wrote:

[...]

Still couldn't make it work, however, I ended up using the following
and it worked out great..

=IF(SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(F2:J2)0,MATCH(F2:J2,F 2:J2,0),""),IF(LEN(F2:J2)0,MATCH(F2:J2,F2:J2,0)," "))0,1))1,"Mismatch",IF(ISERROR(INDEX(F2:J2,MATC H("?
*",F2:J2,0))),"",INDEX(F2:J2,MATCH("?*",F2:J2,0))) )

Thanks for the help...

Regards,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Steve,

I know I am in late on the post but here is a shorter approach which seems
to do what you want:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:E1,LOOKUP("zz",A1:E1))=COUNTA(A1:E1 ),LOOKUP("zz",A1:F1),"Mismatch")

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire