Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Mass adding of text

Is there a way to "mass add" text into a column of information?

Example: We do tractor parts and all info is kept in Excel databases. I
need to update part numbers. Right now, the column looks like this:

11111
22222
33333
etc.

and we need it to look like this:

D11111
D22222
D33333
etc.

Is there a way to tell Excel "add a letter or number at the beginning of
each cell in this column"? Same thing when adding category codes for our
website. I have everything broken down by model number, and have to manually
edit our codes. It would be soooo much easier to tell Excel to add the code
information before and after whatever is in each cell. Any way to make this
happen?

Thanks for your feedback.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Suppose your data is in column A. Pick an un-used (helper) column and enter:
="D" & A1
then copy down

Next copy the helper column and paste/special/values back onto column A
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200779

"Shae" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It is quite easy:
Try something like this in column B
="D"&A1

Regards,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy

"Shae" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK, I get where you both are coming from. Is there a way to have it select
certain cells? i.e. "A1 if it begins with 2"? Some of the numbers don't
need the number.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

List your desired rules and we will build them into the formula.
--