Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default start and end dates within listboxes

I have an interactive chart with four drop down list boxes. Two of these are
the Start Date and End Date. It all works fine. However I'm trying to
restrict the user from selecting an End Date that is earlier than the Start
Date. No luck as of yet. I want to eventually post this on a web page.

thanks,
casey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Casey,

Try Data Validation,
Say your start date cell is D4 and end date cell is E4
Click in E4, go to DataValidationSettings Tab, select Custom
from the dropdown box and set Formula is: =E4D4
Then click on the Error Alert tab and set the message
you wish to appear.

This will work fine in Excel, however, I know nothing
about whether the functionality will hold when
transferred to a web page.

HTH
Martin

"casey" wrote in message
I have an interactive chart with four drop down list boxes. Two of these
are
the Start Date and End Date. It all works fine. However I'm trying to
restrict the user from selecting an End Date that is earlier than the
Start
Date. No luck as of yet. I want to eventually post this on a web page.

thanks,
casey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Martin,
Thanks for your solution. That does work when those two cells are all I
have. However, my dates (monthly) range for several years, from A2:A100.

Again, thanks,
casey

"casey" wrote in message
I have an interactive chart with four drop down list boxes. Two of these
are
the Start Date and End Date. It all works fine. However I'm trying to
restrict the user from selecting an End Date that is earlier than the
Start
Date. No luck as of yet. I want to eventually post this on a web page.

thanks,
casey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Casey,

Just select the entire range before you apply the
Data Validation the formula will update it's
references down the column automatically.

Make sure you select from top to bottom
and not from bottom to top.

HTH
Martin

"casey" wrote in message
I have an interactive chart with four drop down list boxes. Two of
these
are
the Start Date and End Date. It all works fine. However I'm trying to
restrict the user from selecting an End Date that is earlier than the
Start
Date. No luck as of yet. I want to eventually post this on a web
page.

thanks,
casey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't think I've explained my situation well enough. Here I go. I may not
have even set it up in a way to allow me to use your solution.

I have one drop down list for Start Date
I have a second drop down list for End Date
They both have the same Input Range of A2:A100
The Cell Link for the Start Date is C2 (The number of month in the list,
i.e. if A2=Jan-00 (month #1), so if the Start Date was Jan-01, then C2=13)
The Cell Link for the End Date is D2 (Same here. If The End Date was
Dec-01, then D2=24)

I've tried applying the Data Validation in various ways and still cannot
make it work.

Does this help explain it better?

thnx again,
casey