Pierre Fichaud

Default VLOOKUP question

I have 2 sheets, The first sheet has coulmns 1 with a name and column 2
with a value. The second sheet has column 1 with a name and other
columns. Using the name in sheet2, I want to find an exact match with a
name in column1 of sheet1 and then move the corresponding value in
column 2 of shhet 1 to sheet2. I think this can de done with VLOOKUP but
I can't get past the second parameter. Can someone help me with this?
TIA. PF.

Jose366

The second parmeter your referring to is the Table_array which is the area
you want the formula to "Look" for the value. This will always include the
first column (lookup value) and the column(s) where the value to be looked-up
resides. In the example you've given, the Table_array should be
'Sheet1'!A1:BXX. With XX indicating the number of rows to include in the
array.

The third parmeter is the column where the lookup value is located. In your
example would be "2".

Since your looking for an exact match to your lookup, parmeter 4 should be
"False"

"Pierre Fichaud" wrote:

I have 2 sheets, The first sheet has coulmns 1 with a name and column 2
with a value. The second sheet has column 1 with a name and other
columns. Using the name in sheet2, I want to find an exact match with a
name in column1 of sheet1 and then move the corresponding value in
column 2 of shhet 1 to sheet2. I think this can de done with VLOOKUP but
I can't get past the second parameter. Can someone help me with this?
TIA. PF.

Pierre Fichaud

=vlookup(a1,sheet1!a1:b863,4,false)

I get #REF.

I want the value in the 4th column in sheet1 to be inserted in the cell when
any of A1 to b863 match a1.

PF.