Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how to specify a range that is variable.

I have a control variable sheet that has the "start" and "end" column
numbers. For a number of different data ranges that us the same start and
end columns, how do I specify the ranges in various formulas that would use
the start and end column variables but different rows? Do I have to use VBA
which I am not very good at? Thanks for any help.
--
Mal
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can create a range just like Frankenstein, splice together pieces. Say
A1 thru A4 contain:

3
5

In A5 enter:

=SUM(INDIRECT(A1&A3&":"&A2&A4))
this is the same as entering:
=SUM(C3:F5)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200777

"Mal" wrote:

I have a control variable sheet that has the "start" and "end" column
numbers. For a number of different data ranges that us the same start and
end columns, how do I specify the ranges in various formulas that would use
the start and end column variables but different rows? Do I have to use VBA
which I am not very good at? Thanks for any help.
--
Mal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This may be of interest to you:
http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

Regards,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy

"Mal" wrote:

I have a control variable sheet that has the "start" and "end" column
numbers. For a number of different data ranges that us the same start and
end columns, how do I specify the ranges in various formulas that would use
the start and end column variables but different rows? Do I have to use VBA
which I am not very good at? Thanks for any help.
--
Mal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Whoops, hit the 'Post' button too fast; ment to give you this too:
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/DynamicRanges.htm

Regards,
Ryan--

--
RyGuy

"Mal" wrote:

I have a control variable sheet that has the "start" and "end" column
numbers. For a number of different data ranges that us the same start and
end columns, how do I specify the ranges in various formulas that would use
the start and end column variables but different rows? Do I have to use VBA
which I am not very good at? Thanks for any help.
--
Mal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Ryan....Named Ranges are under-utilized and should be given more
publicity.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200778

variable range John New Users to Excel 2 July 21st 06 03:42 PM
Variable Range sep1280 Excel Worksheet Functions 3 March 6th 06 07:17 AM
from Range variable Marina Limeira Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 January 22nd 06 02:35 PM
Variable in Range aftamath Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 October 6th 05 07:48 PM
How to use a variable for a range Jeff Lowenstein Excel Worksheet Functions 1 July 26th 05 02:14 AM