Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How the heck?

Could someone please explain to me how the following function works?

=MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255)

Many thanks - Dave.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Save your file and you'll see the result.
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"Dave" wrote:

Could someone please explain to me how the following function works?

=MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255)

Many thanks - Dave.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See Bob Phillips' site for the "how" part.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:56:19 -0700, Dave wrote:

Could someone please explain to me how the following function works?

=MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255)

Many thanks - Dave.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Gordon,
Thanks for the link.
Dave.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The Cell function returns information about the given cell, if the info type
(first argument) of filename is requested, the returned info is the complete
path to that cell - for example:
C:\Users\UserName\Documents\[sample.xlsx]Sheet1

The Find function is looking for the first instance of a right square
bracket in the filename info, which indicates the end of the workbook name,
and returns its character position

The Mid function is therefore taking the location of the ] in the path to
the current cell, and starting in the next position, returning up to the next
255 characters, which will be your sheetname.

Does that help?