Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default External Links in Excel 2007 with variable source file

I have read many posts in this discussion group refering to "External Links".
It seems there needs to be an answer for more people than just me.

I have many, many workbooks with intricate cascading linked data.
On each destination workbook/worksheet I want to create many links to source
external workbooks/worksheets/cellref which are not open.

Obviously, when I hard code in the link there is no problem. Whichever way I
try to create a formula that can link depending upon other values in the
worksheet then I have the problem that the source workbook is not open. This
includes the INDIRECT function solutions mentioned elsewhere.

Is there a way to accomplish an external link where the link is not hard
coded? If there is then using ordinary worksheet functions would be best.
Otherwise, is there a VB method that can be coded to work?

I don't want to open a destination workbook and see many other source
workbooks opening and closing while gathering the required link data. I would
like it to be transparent just as a hard coded link is.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:07:02 -0700, PaHead
wrote:

[...]

Perhaps the INDIRECT.EXT function from Longre's free morefunc.xll add-in might
be helpful. http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english/index.htm

It allows referencing a closed workbook with an INDIRECT-like function.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dear Ron,

Thank you very much for your reply.

It has solved my problem completely with the extra use of SETV and GETV.

Your answer was invaluable.

I can post an example of what I have done if anyone wants it.

Again, many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 01:07:00 -0700, PaHead
wrote:

Dear Ron,

Thank you very much for your reply.

It has solved my problem completely with the extra use of SETV and GETV.

Your answer was invaluable.

I can post an example of what I have done if anyone wants it.

Again, many thanks.

I'm glad that helped.

I find morefunc to be a very useful add-in, in a number of areas, so long as
you remain aware of its limitations (mostly size issues due to it being an
XLL).
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JGT JGT is offline

Anybody have a workable link to download this add-in?
Any contact with the author?