Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PaHead PaHead is offline

Default External Links in Excel 2007 with variable source file

I have read many posts in this discussion group refering to "External Links".
It seems there needs to be an answer for more people than just me.

I have many, many workbooks with intricate cascading linked data.
On each destination workbook/worksheet I want to create many links to source
external workbooks/worksheets/cellref which are not open.

Obviously, when I hard code in the link there is no problem. Whichever way I
try to create a formula that can link depending upon other values in the
worksheet then I have the problem that the source workbook is not open. This
includes the INDIRECT function solutions mentioned elsewhere.

Is there a way to accomplish an external link where the link is not hard
coded? If there is then using ordinary worksheet functions would be best.
Otherwise, is there a VB method that can be coded to work?

I don't want to open a destination workbook and see many other source
workbooks opening and closing while gathering the required link data. I would
like it to be transparent just as a hard coded link is.