Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Ranking

When I do the rank function it does it backwards. Meaning the lowest value
has a higher rank. Can this be turned around?

--
Yeah that about sums it up.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use the third argument to sort ascending or descending
=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$10,0)
sorts descending, (also if you leave the 0 out),
=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$10,1)
sorts ascending,
Regards,
Alan.
"Excelicious" wrote in message
When I do the rank function it does it backwards. Meaning the lowest
value
has a higher rank. Can this be turned around?

--
Yeah that about sums it up.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The formula worked great, however again I cannot get the formula to copy down
as it keeps referencing orginal references.

=RANK(D3,$D$3:$J$3,1) <<<--- Works Great
=RANK(D4,$D$3:$J$3,1) <<<---- Next line still referencing D3 info.
=RANK(D5,$D$3:$J$3,1) <<<---- Next line still referencing D3 info.
=RANK(D6,$D$3:$J$3,1) <<<---- Next line still referencing D3 info.

--
Yeah that about sums it up.

"Alan" wrote:

Use the third argument to sort ascending or descending
=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$10,0)
sorts descending, (also if you leave the 0 out),
=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$10,1)
sorts ascending,
Regards,
Alan.
"Excelicious" wrote in message
When I do the rank function it does it backwards. Meaning the lowest
value
has a higher rank. Can this be turned around?

--
Yeah that about sums it up.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You need to copy it across, not down, ie enter the formula in D3 and drag it
across to J4 so you aren't get D3, D4, D5 etc, but D3,E3, F3 etc.
You must have both the cell to rank and the range to rank it from in either
columns or rows, you can't mix them,

"Alan" wrote:

Use the third argument to sort ascending or descending
=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$10,0)
sorts descending, (also if you leave the 0 out),
=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$10,1)
sorts ascending,
Regards,
Alan.
"Excelicious" wrote in message
When I do the rank function it does it backwards. Meaning the lowest
value
has a higher rank. Can this be turned around?

--
Yeah that about sums it up.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Make sure you have calculation set to automatic.

ToolsOptionsCalculation tabAutomaticOK

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP