Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Concatenate question

I used the concatenate function to combine columns of Last Name, First Name,
Middle Initial. Now, I want that combined information to remain and I want
to delete the three separate columns. How can I do that without losing the
concatenate function? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You need to fix the values in your column with the formula in - assume
this is column D, then highlight the column by clicking the letter at
the top of the column. Then click <copy and Edit | Paste Special |
Values (check) | OK and then <Esc.

Now you can delete the original data by highlighting those 3 columns
and Edit | Delete.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 27, 2:08*pm, DianaL wrote:
I used the concatenate function to combine columns of Last Name, First Name,
Middle Initial. *Now, I want that combined information to remain and I want
to delete the three separate columns. *How can I do that without losing the
concatenate function? *Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Copy your column of concatenated data and then use a paste special with the
option of values selected to paste it back down your Concatenated column.
This will create your column as you like without formula based on the other
3 columns. You can then delete the other 3 columns.

"DianaL" wrote:

I used the concatenate function to combine columns of Last Name, First Name,
Middle Initial. Now, I want that combined information to remain and I want
to delete the three separate columns. How can I do that without losing the
concatenate function? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming D1 has:
=A1 & B1 & C1
then copy column D and paste/special/value back onto itself. Then columns
A, B, and C can be deleted.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200776

"DianaL" wrote:

I used the concatenate function to combine columns of Last Name, First Name,
Middle Initial. Now, I want that combined information to remain and I want
to delete the three separate columns. How can I do that without losing the
concatenate function? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can hide the columns that contain the data used in your concatenate
function:
Format Column Width then enter 0

Alternatively, copy and paste special (to a new column) the concatenate
function:
Edit Copy then select a new column Edit Paste Special Values

Regards,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy