Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Average Grade

Hi

Is it possible to have a list of grades in a column as text i.e

and have Excel tell me which one is the average?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Convert the data to numbers and calculate the average numerically. For
example:

A is 4
B is 3
C is 2
D is 1

=(COUNTIF(A:A,"a")*4+COUNTIF(A:A,"b")*3+COUNTIF(A: A,"c")*2+COUNTIF(A:A,"d"))/COUNTA(A:A)

and for your data the answer is 3

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200775

"Anita" wrote:

Hi

Is it possible to have a list of grades in a column as text i.e

and have Excel tell me which one is the average?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Possibly

=CHAR(AVERAGE(CODE(A1:A10))

Adjust A1 - A10 to your used range and enter as an array
Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Mike