-   -   Average Grade (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/181510-average-grade.html)

Anita

Average Grade

Hi

Is it possible to have a list of grades in a column as text i.e

and have Excel tell me which one is the average?

Thanks

Gary''s Student

Average Grade

Convert the data to numbers and calculate the average numerically. For
example:

A is 4
B is 3
C is 2
D is 1

=(COUNTIF(A:A,"a")*4+COUNTIF(A:A,"b")*3+COUNTIF(A: A,"c")*2+COUNTIF(A:A,"d"))/COUNTA(A:A)

and for your data the answer is 3

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200775

"Anita" wrote:

Hi

Is it possible to have a list of grades in a column as text i.e

and have Excel tell me which one is the average?

Thanks

Mike H

Average Grade

Possibly

=CHAR(AVERAGE(CODE(A1:A10))

Adjust A1 - A10 to your used range and enter as an array
Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Mike