Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Nested IF: Using CPEARSON Approach

I have more than 7 conditions to check. In a different discussion there was
a reference to a cpearson site that noted breaking down the conditions into
manageable functions and then have a 'master' function. I've tried that but
it only half works (I must be missing something).

What I am trying to do is to determine a value to place into a cell (the
data is concatenated with CHAR(10) for force new lines) based on the value
selected from a validation list. There are two different IF conditions with
corresponding 'defined names'.

First condition set called
Services::=IF(ApplicationQuestionnaire!$C$4="XGN", CELL("contents",G31),IF(ApplicationQuestionnaire!$ C$4="XIS",CELL("contents",G60),IF(ApplicationQuest ionnaire!$C$4="XMA",CELL("contents",G62),IF(Applic ationQuestionnaire!$C$4="XNX",CELL("contents",G64) ))))

Second condition set called
CoreApps::=IF(ApplicationQuestionnaire!$C$4="XAM", CELL("contents",G3),IF(ApplicationQuestionnaire!$C $4="XCL",CELL("contents",G19),IF(ApplicationQuesti onnaire!$C$4="XIM",CELL("contents",G39),IF(Applica tionQuestionnaire!$C$4="XRM",CELL("contents",G66), IF(ApplicationQuestionnaire!$C$4="XST",CELL("conte nts",G69),"NoFilesReferenced")))))

Each condition has a corresponding 'results' using the CELL("contents",G75)
to identify the contents of each condition (wasn't sure if this was really
necessary). The name of each of the results are ServicesResults and
CoreAppResults, respectively.

The 'master' formula to bring the conditions together
is::=IF(ServicesResults,ServicesResults,CoreAppRes ults). When a value is
selected for CoreApps the results of the condition display appropriately.
When I select a value from Services I get #VALUE!<<.

I would appreciate the help ... I'm lost otherwise!

Thx ... Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

LOOKUP and INDEX are functions I have yet to play with but I'm getting there.
Where do you get the {1,30,32,34} from?

Also, rather than doing IF statements, can I not just put all of the
'conditions' together as a single statement? That may simplify this even
further.

Thx for the help, Mr. Phillips!

"JeffRI" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hey Bob ... I followed your example and continued it across all of the values
needed. However, what should be done if the value entered is not listed? I
would like to default some text in there if I don't get a match. Any ideas?

Thx, Bob.

Jeff