Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default What is the right approach?

This is a continuation of previous discussion. (See below *****).

Bob, I think an online forum is different from a classroom situation. I do feel there is some kind of an "ownership" attached to a thread. I am new to this Newsgroup business and I am still learning etiquette. Feeling acceptance in a group is important to all posters including myself. Please feel free to *email* me any time if you see any need for improvement. Comments are welcome from others; but please be kind and gentle and don't throw a pie at me. ;)

I usually start a new thread when the subject is *unrelated*. Bob, you have seen me do that with my own thread. If my questions/comments relate to the scenario or data set of the thread, it is quite a temptation to just join in the discussion. I once originated a thread and another person posted a *similar* question under my thread and I didn't mind at all. I find it easier to group similar issues together. Of course, everyone feels differently. Some posters may feel "possessive" towards his/her thread. Some may be shy to announce that they don't understand the formula. In that case, they may thank me for saying that I need some explanation. ;) There are just too many factors in play. All in all, I think it is better to play safe and start a new thread although we may sacrifice ease of reference and archive.

One reason I run into situations that others may not may be because I am quite passionate about learning. Hope you all can accept this fact.

Thank you for your attention.

Epinn

************************************************** *******************************
(2) Absolutely not. If it were me, I think I would open a new thread as a
discussion thread, referencing back to the thread that made you stop and
think. That way, the OPs thread is left to run its course (we have to be
careful not to intimidate/scare off posters from asking follow-ups), but
your questions get a very clear forum of their own which people can join or
ignore as is there wont.

But never shut up, others will also read the threads and learn from them. I
go the COLUMN(A2:F4)^0 trick from this, and I am sure I will use that in
future.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips
************************************************** *******************************
(1) This is a sensitive issue and it has always been a concern for
me. I try to apologize before anyone complains. I always seem to have more
questions than anyone around. If I think open group discussion, archive,
easy reference for future research etc. then I can justify asking my
questions or providing my comments under the original poster's thread.
Having said this, I do understand that the poster has "ownership" and
certain privilege and it is also natural that he/she feels "possessive" and
doesn't want others to ask many questions or "take over" ......

I usually hold off my questions until the poster has got the answers and
"left" the forum.

What is the right approach? When unsure, shut up?

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bob,

I understand. Don't worry. Now my turn to ask you .....

Was there anything in my post that made you want to confirm? I can clarify. Nothing you said in your previous post bothered me at all. Your points are well taken and I always appreciate your wisdom, kindness and guidance.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all posters, MVP's, experts etc. on this forum for creating such a harmonious environment. It takes a few regulars to set the tone, culture ...... Do you want to guess what prompts me to say this? I just finished browsing another MS forum. I was *shocked*. A few MVP's ganged up on one poster, and one MVP even called the poster "idiot, jerk." There was actually a war going on. Thank goodness, I have peace on this forum. Everyone, let's keep up the tradition.

Much appreciated.

Epinn

"Epinn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Epinn,

No nothing particularly, but I just wanted to be absolutely clear, I have
enjoyed your questions and didn't want to appear to be trying to stop them
in any way shape of form.

You are right about the Excel forums. In the main they are very friendly and
polite, and for that we can thank the participants. We do get the occasional
flare-up, but I have never seen anything that I would call nasty. I once
looked in on another group where one guy in particular was just plain
abusive at anyone who asked what he considered a stupid question, I think it
says more about him that the poster.

MVPs are supposed to adhere to a code of conduct
(http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/ ), and if you find any such person
behaving in what you might deem to be inappropriate behaviour, you are at
liberty to email MS and inform them.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips