Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLookup: Get a value from a different spreadsheet

Hi All,
I am trying to look up info that is in a different spreadsheet.
I have a "c:\PartMaster.xls" spreadsheet that has 3 columns: PartNumber,
Description, Cost. I have a second spreadsheet that is a parts list for a
specific machine. In the PartsList.xls spreadsheet I want to enter the part
number, then get the description and cost from the PartMaster spreadsheet.
I don't know how to write the VLookup() function to go to a different
spreadsheet. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this

=VLOOKUP(A2,[Book2]Sheet1!$A$1:$B$33,2,FALSE)

Where Book2 is the name of the second workbook

Mike

"Simon" wrote:

Hi All,
I am trying to look up info that is in a different spreadsheet.
I have a "c:\PartMaster.xls" spreadsheet that has 3 columns: PartNumber,
Description, Cost. I have a second spreadsheet that is a parts list for a
specific machine. In the PartsList.xls spreadsheet I want to enter the part
number, then get the description and cost from the PartMaster spreadsheet.
I don't know how to write the VLookup() function to go to a different
spreadsheet. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the Reply, Mike, but that doesn't seem to work. I still get an
error.
I figured something out that does seem to work correctly:
IF(ISBLANK(A2)," ",VLOOKUP(A2,'C:\[PartMaster.xls]Sheet1'!A:C,2,FALSE))

"Simon" wrote:

Hi All,
I am trying to look up info that is in a different spreadsheet.
I have a "c:\PartMaster.xls" spreadsheet that has 3 columns: PartNumber,
Description, Cost. I have a second spreadsheet that is a parts list for a
specific machine. In the PartsList.xls spreadsheet I want to enter the part
number, then get the description and cost from the PartMaster spreadsheet.
I don't know how to write the VLookup() function to go to a different
spreadsheet. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excel does not have spreadsheets. Excel has workbooks. Workbooks have
worksheets. Worksheets have tabs.
So, since I have no idea what you mean by "spreadsheet" I cannot answer you.

Tyro