Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF(ISBLANK for multiple cells A1:N1

I have read many posts regarding this issue and I thought I wrote my formula
correctly.

I have tried it as a formula AND as an array formula

=IF(ISBLANK(A1:N1),"Delete","OK")

When I use this formula, whether the range has something in it or not, it
returns "OK".

The spreadsheet is an exported report from a mailing/shipping software
program. It has 600 rows, A:N, some with only one Cell containing data. I
need to delete all the blank rows (I've read all those posts too). I'm either
very thick in the head or there is some invisible data lurking in the cells?

I've even reversed the formula =IF(ISBLANK(A1:N1),"OK","Delete"). Arrrggg!

Thank you,

scrowley(AT)littleonline.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=IF(COUNTA(A1:N1)=0,"Delete","OK")

If the result is "OK" but you can't see anything in any cells then that
means you have invisible data lurking.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SCrowley" wrote in message
I have read many posts regarding this issue and I thought I wrote my
formula
correctly.

I have tried it as a formula AND as an array formula

=IF(ISBLANK(A1:N1),"Delete","OK")

When I use this formula, whether the range has something in it or not, it
returns "OK".

The spreadsheet is an exported report from a mailing/shipping software
program. It has 600 rows, A:N, some with only one Cell containing data. I
need to delete all the blank rows (I've read all those posts too). I'm
either
very thick in the head or there is some invisible data lurking in the
cells?

I've even reversed the formula =IF(ISBLANK(A1:N1),"OK","Delete"). Arrrggg!

Thank you,

scrowley(AT)littleonline.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
Not sure what you want to do but it sounds like you want to delete all the
rows that are blank between columns A and N.
A macro would be the "correct" way to go.
A cheap solution would be to insert a helper row to re-sort the rows.
Assuming that column O is empty, enter 1 in O1 and copy down all the rows,
increasing the number for each row.
Then sort all the data to get all the blank rows together.
Delete the blank rows and then use column O to re-sort the rows to their
orignal order and delete column O.
Might this work?

--
Ken Hudson

"SCrowley" wrote:

I have read many posts regarding this issue and I thought I wrote my formula
correctly.

I have tried it as a formula AND as an array formula

=IF(ISBLANK(A1:N1),"Delete","OK")

When I use this formula, whether the range has something in it or not, it
returns "OK".

The spreadsheet is an exported report from a mailing/shipping software
program. It has 600 rows, A:N, some with only one Cell containing data. I
need to delete all the blank rows (I've read all those posts too). I'm either
very thick in the head or there is some invisible data lurking in the cells?

I've even reversed the formula =IF(ISBLANK(A1:N1),"OK","Delete"). Arrrggg!

Thank you,

scrowley(AT)littleonline.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

THANK YOU! You and Gaurav both suggested =IF(COUNTA(A1:N1)=0,"Delete","OK")
and it worked perfectly! I'm also going to try Ken's suggestion for some
other data I need to sort out.

I really appreciate this community!