Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Link to a named range in another worksheet that is sorted frequent

I want to create a link for each charge number in ChargeNumbers.xls that will
open the related project details for that charge number in another workbook,
Projects.xls. I've created named ranges for each project in the Projects
workbook (columns A & B).

I've tried using =HYPERLINK("[D:\Projects.xls]ChargeNumber1","Project 1")
and that worked great until the Projects worksheet was sorted. At which
point, the hyperlink still takes me to the original cells (A2:B2) where the
"Project 1" named range was located and not where it is now located (say
A7:B7). As sorting will happen a lot in the Projects worksheet, how do I make
an "absolute" hyperlink that will still work in spite of the named ranges
frequently getting sorted?

Marla
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Type CTRL G and type in the named range that you are trying to find in the
PRojects Workbook. I'd be willing to bet that it's not moving. I think the
issue is the way you define the range, not the hyperlink. Check it out.
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"ShortBlonde" wrote:

I want to create a link for each charge number in ChargeNumbers.xls that will
open the related project details for that charge number in another workbook,
Projects.xls. I've created named ranges for each project in the Projects
workbook (columns A & B).

I've tried using =HYPERLINK("[D:\Projects.xls]ChargeNumber1","Project 1")
and that worked great until the Projects worksheet was sorted. At which
point, the hyperlink still takes me to the original cells (A2:B2) where the
"Project 1" named range was located and not where it is now located (say
A7:B7). As sorting will happen a lot in the Projects worksheet, how do I make
an "absolute" hyperlink that will still work in spite of the named ranges
frequently getting sorted?

Marla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Link to a named range in another worksheet that is sorted freq

Barb,

You're right. The named ranges do not move. So how do I define a named range
so that it will move with its intended content when sorted?

Thanks in advance,
Marla