Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Proper Formula is stuck and does not work

Hello,
I was wondering why my text formula of proper is not working. I have placed
the formula =proper(f2) in column e2 All I get is the formula =proper(f2) and
nothing else. It looks like it is stuck. When I try to copy down the whole
column e has the same formula. I have tried formatting column F to text and
General and the formula does not do anything. I have had this problem in the
past with other formulas.

Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this...

Select cell E2
Goto the menu EditReplace
Find what: =
Replace with: =

Yes, you want to replace the = sign with an = sign!

Click the *replace* button (not the replace all button)
Close

Now, select E2 and copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Diggsy" wrote in message
Hello,
I was wondering why my text formula of proper is not working. I have
placed
the formula =proper(f2) in column e2 All I get is the formula =proper(f2)
and
nothing else. It looks like it is stuck. When I try to copy down the whole
column e has the same formula. I have tried formatting column F to text
and
General and the formula does not do anything. I have had this problem in
the
past with other formulas.

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Formatting the cell as TEXT causes that. As a general rule: Don't format any
cells unless you specifically need to for a specific reason!

If a cell is formatted as TEXT simply changing the format to GENERAL has no
effect *until* you edit the cell. The procedure I suggested is one way of
doing that.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Diggsy" wrote in message
Hello,
I was wondering why my text formula of proper is not working. I have
placed
the formula =proper(f2) in column e2 All I get is the formula
=proper(f2)
and
nothing else. It looks like it is stuck. When I try to copy down the
whole
column e has the same formula. I have tried formatting column F to text
and
General and the formula does not do anything. I have had this problem
in
the
past with other formulas.

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel Formulas not duplicating to the next Cell, copying the valueinstead.

Hello Biff,

Thank you so much for the resolution...
I tried to work on it for so long and I even created a new sheet however it di not work. Finally I had to check on Eggheadcafe and your resolution helped resolve it in micro-seconds what I could not achieve in Hours...

You are amazing!!!

Thanks for being there, am sure your resolutions and knowledge help millions but not all might be appreciating by replying so thought of letting you know....

Regards,
Hemant J

T. Valko wrote:

Formatting the cell as TEXT causes that.
14-Mar-08

Formatting the cell as TEXT causes that. As a general rule: Don't format any
cells unless you specifically need to for a specific reason!

If a cell is formatted as TEXT simply changing the format to GENERAL has no
effect *until* you edit the cell. The procedure I suggested is one way of
doing that.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Diggsy" wrote in message

On Friday, March 14, 2008 11:57 AM
Diggs wrote:

Proper Formula is stuck and does not work
Hello,
I was wondering why my text formula of proper is not working. I have placed
the formula =proper(f2) in column e2 All I get is the formula =proper(f2) and
nothing else. It looks like it is stuck. When I try to copy down the whole
column e has the same formula. I have tried formatting column F to text and
General and the formula does not do anything. I have had this problem in the
past with other formulas.

Chris

On Friday, March 14, 2008 1:06 PM
T. Valko wrote:

Try this...
Try this...

Select cell E2
Goto the menu EditReplace
Find what: =
Replace with: =

Yes, you want to replace the = sign with an = sign!

Click the *replace* button (not the replace all button)
Close

Now, select E2 and copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Diggsy" wrote in message

On Friday, March 14, 2008 1:46 PM
Diggs wrote:

^Thank ou very much. Any Idea why that happens.
^Thank ou very much. Any Idea why that happens. I have had that proplem with
all kinds of formulas from time to time. Thanks again.

Chris

"T. Valko" wrote:

On Friday, March 14, 2008 2:12 PM
T. Valko wrote:

Formatting the cell as TEXT causes that.
Formatting the cell as TEXT causes that. As a general rule: Don't format any
cells unless you specifically need to for a specific reason!

If a cell is formatted as TEXT simply changing the format to GENERAL has no
effect *until* you edit the cell. The procedure I suggested is one way of
doing that.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Diggsy" wrote in message

WPF Report Engine, Part 4
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ne-part-4.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Friday, March 14, 2008 1:06:27 PM UTC-4, T. Valko wrote:
Try this...Select cell E2Goto the menu EditReplace Find what: =Replace with: =Yes, you want to replace the = sign with an = sign!Click the *replace* button (not the replace all button)CloseNow, select E2 and copy down as needed.-- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP"Diggsy" wrote in message ... Hello, I was wondering why my text formula of proper is not working. I have placed the formula =proper(f2) in column e2 All I get is the formula =proper(f2) and nothing else. It looks like it is stuck. When I try to copy down the whole column e has the same formula. I have tried formatting column F to text and General and the formula does not do anything. I have had this problem in the past with other formulas. Chris

HOLY **** this works
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you Chris, this saved me a ton of time.