Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How To Detect A Negative Number In A Cell

Greetings,

I am trying to detect whether the value in cell M for each row has a
negative number. If it does I need to change the text color for that
row to red.

Any help, insights or links would be greatly appreciated.

-Minitman
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select column MCell formattingCategory:NumberSelect one of red patterns
for negative numbers
Regards,
Stefi

€žMinitman€ť ezt Ă*rta:

Greetings,

I am trying to detect whether the value in cell M for each row has a
negative number. If it does I need to change the text color for that
row to red.

Any help, insights or links would be greatly appreciated.

-Minitman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the OP wants to change the text colour for the whole row, rather than
just for that cell, then it'll need Conditional Formatting.
Formula Is/ =$M1<0
--
David Biddulph

"Minitman" ezt írta:

Greetings,

I am trying to detect whether the value in cell M for each row has a
negative number. If it does I need to change the text color for that
row to red.

Any help, insights or links would be greatly appreciated.

-Minitman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hey Stefi,

Thanks for the reply.

Since I need the entire row to change, cell formatting won't work. my
problem seems to be in the formula I tried to work in Conditional
Format:

=$M2<0

I can't get this formula to work in a test cell or in CF:

=IF($M2<0,"NEGATIVE","POSITIVE")

I do appreciate the attempt.

-Minitman

„Minitman” ezt írta:

Greetings,

I am trying to detect whether the value in cell M for each row has a
negative number. If it does I need to change the text color for that
row to red.

Any help, insights or links would be greatly appreciated.

-Minitman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hey David,

Thanks for the reply.

Nice catch on the whole row.

There seems to be a problem with that formula (=$M2<0)

That formula is what I tried at first in CF. I know how to get the
color I need if the formula is working. That formula seems to be the
culprit. So to test the formula, I moved back to the sheet and chose
a column to test the formula. In the first row (row 2), I placed:

=IF($M2<0,"NEGATIVE","POSITIVE")

I then copied it down for 10 rows (it automatically advanced the row
number), I paced both positive and negative numbers (along with a
zero in one row for testing) in the test rows M column.

They all came back "POSITIVE" which is to say they all returned FALSE.

Any idea as to what is wrong with this formula?

-Minitman

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:10:16 -0000, "David Biddulph" <groups [at]
biddulph.org.uk wrote:

If the OP wants to change the text colour for the whole row, rather than
just for that cell, then it'll need Conditional Formatting.
Formula Is/ =$M1<0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It sounds as if you've got text, rather than numbers, in your column M.
To convert to numbers, try copying a blank cell, then select column M and
use Edit/ Paste Special/ Add.
--
David Biddulph

biddulph.org.uk wrote:

If the OP wants to change the text colour for the whole row, rather than
just for that cell, then it'll need Conditional Formatting.
Formula Is/ =$M1<0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hey David,

Thanks for the reply.