Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Data Validation w/ Dependant Lists on seperate Wookbooks

Hello I am having some issues. In an effort to create a worksheets I found
Contextures Website on excel and have found it very useful. The problem is
when I expand on what I found there. Here is what I have:

I have a data validation list and then a dependant list based on that list.
What I want to do is have all the list contained in a workbook and then have
other workbooks refer back to this one. This way when I have to add or change
a list it only has to be done in one place. The other workbooks are Quote
workbooks so they have to be separate for each job.

In the quote template I have defined the name of each list I then use the
primary list and it works great. However the dependant list does not work at
all. I will type what I have so far so you can hopefully understand as good
as possible.

I have two workbooks one is named "List_Database" the second is named
"Controls Price Sheet" in the first "List_Database" I have 8 lists and each
one is in a defined namerange They are "Type", "Supervisor", "Controller",
"Network" ect...

In the "Controls Price Sheet" I have gone to the formulas ribbon and defined
each namerange with the following source: =List_Database.xls!Type

The first list works but in the second where I have the data validation set
to =INDRECT(C8) *C8 is where the first list is*
Gives me an arrow but there is no dropdown.

Any help would be appreciated. BTW I am using Excel 2007 but saving in
97-2003 compatibility mode. I have also created the dependancy list on a
different sheet with in the "List_Database" workbook and it works fine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

INDIRECT will not work with closed workbooks - ensure that both your
files are open at the same time, and see if that works.

Hope this helps.

Pete