Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Zero and Empty cells, What to do

Hi,
I have to sum the numbers in column B *column C in column D.
The problem is that the data in column B are not always a numbers and some
times are zeros.
What is the formula that will take into consideration only the cells with
numbers that are greater the zero and will ignore the empty cells?
see table below.
A B C D
1 Item 1 Qt. Price Total
2 a1 0 10
3 a2 100 11
4 Item 2
5 a3 200 5
6 a4 0 6
7 a5 115 3

Using Excel 2003.
Thanks,
Amnon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm sure you'll get some more elegant replies, but when I have had this
problem in the past, I have used Ctrl + H to replace each blank cell with 0.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Put this formula in D2:

=IF(AND(ISNUMBER(B2),ISNUMBER(C2),B20),B2*C2,"")

and copy down.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 6, 7:48*pm, "Amnon Wilensky" wrote:
Hi,
I have to sum the numbers in column B *column C in column D.
The problem is that the data in column B are not always a numbers and some
times are zeros.
What is the formula that will take into consideration only the cells with
numbers that are greater the zero and will ignore the empty cells?
see table below.
* * *A B C D
* * * 1 Item 1 Qt. Price Total
* * * 2 a1 0 10
* * * 3 a2 100 11
* * * 4 Item 2
* * * 5 a3 200 5
* * * 6 a4 0 6
* * * 7 a5 115 3

Using Excel 2003.
Thanks,
Amnon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks,
Pete_uk gave the elegant answer and I think it will help you the next time
Amnon
"browniebodrum" wrote in message
I'm sure you'll get some more elegant replies, but when I have had this
problem in the past, I have used Ctrl + H to replace each blank cell with
0.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome, thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Mar 8, 7:34*am, "Amnon Wilensky" wrote:
[...]

Amnon- Hide quoted text -