Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Rank without skipping for ties

I'm trying to create a formula that will rank the dates associated
with a series of projections. The rank should be on the date column
but specific to a project. I will always have four rows for each
project for each date so the rank can't treat those as ties and skip
several numbers.

Example 1 - Typical is what the standard rank function will return.
Desired is what I want

Project Date Typical Desired
A 1/2008 1 1
A 1/2008 1 1
A 1/2008 1 1
A 2/2008 4 2
A 2/2008 4 2
A 2/2008 4 2

Example 2: Multiple projects and dates, only rank within project
Project Date Desired
A 1/2008 1
B 1/2008 1
A 1/2008 1
A 2/2008 2
A 2/2008 2
C 2/2008 1
B 3/2008 3
C 3/2008 2

I need to be able to filter the list by the "most current" projection
and the second from most current, etc. Since not all projects will
have a projection in a given month, I thought I'd try to rank within
project. I'm open to other approaches (array formulas, etc.)

Thanks.