Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Cutting text from one cell to paste in another?

Is there a way to cut part of the text in one cell and put it into another?

For example, if I have a dropdown list in cell B3 that includes both an
account number and an account name. I would like cell C3 to take the account
name from cell B3 so all that's left in B3 is the account number.

I know there is an easier way to do this by splitting up the name and number
then using a vlookup for C3 but we need to see both the account name and
number n the dropdown list in order to decide which to use.

Is this possible?

Thnks very much
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Try Debra's example file at:
Under Data Validation, look for DV0005 - Data Validation "Columns"
--
Max
Singapore
"Klee" wrote in message
Is there a way to cut part of the text in one cell and put it into
another?

For example, if I have a dropdown list in cell B3 that includes both an
account number and an account name. I would like cell C3 to take the
account
name from cell B3 so all that's left in B3 is the account number.

I know there is an easier way to do this by splitting up the name and
number
then using a vlookup for C3 but we need to see both the account name and
number n the dropdown list in order to decide which to use.

Is this possible?

Thnks very much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, is there a way to do it without having to use code?

I tried to set up my worksheets exactly like the one in the example you
pointed me too and I copied the code to my worksheet but it didn't do
anything.Beyond cutting and pasting I have no idea how to use code.

I also tried to use a formula in the data validation screen for the drop
down list - =left(acctlist,9) becausemy account numbers are nine digits long
but it gives me a warning saying that it results in an error.

Thanks for your help

"Klee" wrote in message
Is there a way to cut part of the text in one cell and put it into
another?

For example, if I have a dropdown list in cell B3 that includes both an
account number and an account name. I would like cell C3 to take the
account
name from cell B3 so all that's left in B3 is the account number.

I know there is an easier way to do this by splitting up the name and
number
then using a vlookup for C3 but we need to see both the account name and
number n the dropdown list in order to decide which to use.

Is this possible?

Thnks very much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Can you paste some samples of the mixed data that's returned by your DV in
col B?
There could be a formula way to extract the required account name into
another adjacent col, eg col C. But I don't think you can do it directly in
the DV itself other than through code such as Debra's