Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Cell Calculations

Is it possible for one cell to calculate two seperate totals based on the
calculation in other cells. I've already set the cells below to auto
calculate. I now want cell B38 to remain blank if B35 has an entry of a
dollar amount paid but I want it to display the total left if D37 and or E37
has a dollar amount entry.
Example:
funds left over are 500.00 in cell B28
required amount to be paid is 764.00 in B34
payment was made of 500.00 entered in B35
balance left is auto calculated in B36

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, your question is unclear as to what formula you are trying to use
where, but to try to answer your question:
=IF(B35<"","",IF(OR(D37<"",E37<""),your_formula _for_total_left,"answer
undefined"))
--
David Biddulph

"Dina" wrote in message
Is it possible for one cell to calculate two seperate totals based on the
calculation in other cells. I've already set the cells below to auto
calculate. I now want cell B38 to remain blank if B35 has an entry of a
dollar amount paid but I want it to display the total left if D37 and or
E37
has a dollar amount entry.
Example:
funds left over are 500.00 in cell B28
required amount to be paid is 764.00 in B34
payment was made of 500.00 entered in B35
balance left is auto calculated in B36

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks David

B38 is the cell I want the totals to calculate in.

The formula I need to add to is =IF(B35<=B28,0) but if D37 or E37 has a
dollar entry then I want B38 to only calculate D37 or E37

"Dina" wrote in message
Is it possible for one cell to calculate two seperate totals based on the
calculation in other cells. I've already set the cells below to auto
calculate. I now want cell B38 to remain blank if B35 has an entry of a
dollar amount paid but I want it to display the total left if D37 and or
E37
has a dollar amount entry.
Example:
funds left over are 500.00 in cell B28
required amount to be paid is 764.00 in B34
payment was made of 500.00 entered in B35
balance left is auto calculated in B36

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No. I've still no idea what you're trying to do.
Your formula =IF(B35<=B28,0) will return 0 if B35<=B28, but if B35B28 it
will return the Boolean FALSE, which is equivalent to zero. What do you
want the formula to do if B35B28? Are you trying to say that you want it
to return D37 if that cell in non-blank, or E37 if that is non-blank, or
return blank if both D37 and E37 are blank? And what if D37 and E37 are
both non-blank?
--
David Biddulph