Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default acumulating sum

I have a list of values in collum A and I wantto keep a running talle in
another colulm B is there an easyier way to do this than putting the sum
formular in each cell in collumI B I have 400 of these.
Example
A B
3500 3500
3100 6600
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Since you only have 400 rows, enter this formula in B1:

=Sum($A1:A1)

Click back in B1 and hover the cursor over the little black square in the
lower right corner of the cell.

When the cursor changes from a fat white cross to a skinny black cross,
click and drag down to Row 400.

You don't have to type the formula into each individual cell.

--

HTH,

RD

wrote in message
om...
I have a list of values in collum A and I wantto keep a running talle in
another colulm B is there an easyier way to do this than putting the sum
formular in each cell in collumI B I have 400 of these.
Example
A B
3500 3500
3100 6600

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi
in cell b1 put ....=A1
in cell B2 put.....=b1+A2
copy b2 and high light column b from b3 to the end of your data. paste
done
what do you find so objectionable to this method?

regards
FSt1

" wrote:

I have a list of values in collum A and I wantto keep a running talle in
another colulm B is there an easyier way to do this than putting the sum
formular in each cell in collumI B I have 400 of these.
Example
A B
3500 3500
3100 6600

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you don't want to see the total in Column B for cells that are not yet filled
in Column B, I would suggest this revision to RD's formula.

=IF(A1="","",SUM(A$1:A1))

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:52:05 -0800, "RagDyeR" wrote:

Correction:

=Sum(A$1:A1)
--

HTH,

RD
================================================= ====
================================================= ====

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
Since you only have 400 rows, enter this formula in B1:

=Sum($A1:A1)

Click back in B1 and hover the cursor over the little black square in the
lower right corner of the cell.

When the cursor changes from a fat white cross to a skinny black cross,
click and drag down to Row 400.

You don't have to type the formula into each individual cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK that formula works good but I didn't explain that I have 100 of the 400
on 4 sheets and in colums of 20.
Here is a better example:

A B C D

30.24 30.24 30.12 90.48
30.12 60.36 30.58 121.06
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't understand your better example.

"100 of 400 on 4 sheets and in columns of 20"

4 sheets of 4 columns of 20 would be 80 per sheet or are there 5 columns of 20
per sheet?

If D1 is supposed to be a running total of A1:C1 then your addition is
incorrect.

Gord

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:58:42 GMT, wrote:

OK that formula works good but I didn't explain that I have 100 of the 400
on 4 sheets and in colums of 20.
Here is a better example:

A B C D

30.24 30.24 30.12 90.48
30.12 60.36 30.58 121.06

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Data Sum Data Sum of B and C
Entry
Column

A B C D

30.24 30.24 30.12 90.48
30.12 60.36 30.58 121.06

There are 20 data entries in each of five columns only 2 shown with a sub
total at the bottom.
I tried making a formular =Sum(A21,C$1:C20) and it doesnt work
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can't you just use =SUM(A:A) or =SUMIF(A:A,"0") in another cell? This
would keep a running sum of all the values in column A in a single
cell like you asked.

HTH,
JP

On Feb 23, 7:18*pm, wrote:
I have a list of values in collum A and I wantto keep a running talle in
another colulm B is there an easyier way to do this than putting the sum
formular in each cell in collumI B I have 400 of these.
Example
A * * * * * * * B
3500 * * * * *3500
3100 * * * * *6600

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not exactly what I asked. I do have a total for column A whats important is
the progressive value in column B
See my better example on my other reply

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you check your original post, you asked if there was an easier way
to have a running total cell without putting the sum formula in each
cell in column B, which was exactly what I provided to you. Now you do
want to put the running total in each cell in column B? If so then I
believe RagDyeR or FSt1 gave the correct formula.

--JP

On Feb 28, 6:33*am, wrote:
Not exactly what I asked. I do have a total for column A whats important is
the progressive value in column B
See my better example on my other reply

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes it worked great but when I try a similar formula in column D it doesnt
work
=SUM(A21,D$1:D1)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If A21 is a carry-over from the previous column of calculations, maybe
you'll want to make it absolute also:

=Sum($A$21,D$1:D1)

--

HTH,

RD

wrote in message
om...
Yes it worked great but when I try a similar formula in column D it doesnt
work
=SUM(A21,D$1:D1)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That was the problem thanks so now when I do the other sheets
I can referance sheet4 where I have a grand total like this.

=SUM(Sheet!4$D$27,A$1:A1)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you sure you mean that, and not =SUM(Sheet4!$D$27,A$1:A1) ?

Two suggestions for whenever you post here again:
Firstly don't try to retype a formula, as you are likely to make mistakes in
doing so. Copy and paste to or from the formula bar.
Secondly, please include enough of the previous message to put your reply
into context. Any reasonable guide to newsgroups and netiquette will give
you advice on quoting and snipping.
--
David Biddulph

om...