Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sorting rows

This is proabably simple and I'm just not seeing the obvious.

I have a spreadsheet with numerous columns of data. The second column
contains names. I want to sort the spreadsheet by name but maintain the data
integrity of the entire row when it sorts.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bernie

Highlight all the data before sorting

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Bernie R." <Bernie wrote in message
This is proabably simple and I'm just not seeing the obvious.

I have a spreadsheet with numerous columns of data. The second column
contains names. I want to sort the spreadsheet by name but maintain the
data
integrity of the entire row when it sorts.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Did that and it didn't work. Thought that was the correct procedure but this
spreadsheet has been everything but cooperative.

Thanks for the reply Nick.

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

Bernie

Highlight all the data before sorting

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England
DTHIS
web:
www.excelusergroup.org
web: www.nickhodge.co.uk

"Bernie R." <Bernie wrote in message
This is proabably simple and I'm just not seeing the obvious.

I have a spreadsheet with numerous columns of data. The second column
contains names. I want to sort the spreadsheet by name but maintain the
data
integrity of the entire row when it sorts.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Did that and it didn't work.

I'm not sure whether you tried selecting all the cols involved,
eg selecting cols A to E (say)
then clicking Data Sort Sort by Col B* Ascending OK
*your "Names" col
--
Max
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Max. Tried that too and it still didn't maintain row integrity.
We'll just have to make do because we have to validate soldier's data for
deployment today and tomorrow. It's a minor nusance but manageable.

I know your advice and Nick's work on other spreadsheets that I have
created, but these were forced on us and they are linked to 4 other
worksheets and 2 workbooks.

Appreciate everyone's assistance!

"Max" wrote:

Did that and it didn't work.

I'm not sure whether you tried selecting all the cols involved,
eg selecting cols A to E (say)
then clicking Data Sort Sort by Col B* Ascending OK
*your "Names" col
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Aha, you didn't tell us that the data is brought over from elsewhere via
link formulas. If you were to kill/freeze all the formulas on the sheet (you
could do this easily in a couple of seconds by copying the entire sheet with
the links, then do a paste special as values (& as formats) in a **new**
sheet. The sorting should work fine in the new sheet.