Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Trouble with a ComboBox on a UserForm

I put this post in the general group and didn't get an answer; I am now
trying to find an answer in this group. Basically, I am encountering some
bizarre behavior from an Excel model. I have a ComboBox on a UserForm and it
works fine if this model is the only one open at the time I open the model.
If there is any other Excel SS open and running, before I open this
particular model with the ComboBox on the UserForm, the ComboBox will not
display any data in the drop down menu. As soon as I close any open SS, and
open the model again, the ComboBox works just fine! Ive been using Excel for
10 years or so...not exactly new to the scene but Ive never dealt with
this... What could possible cause this behavior? Why would a UserForm not be
able to load a ComboBox if other SS are open?

Regards,
Ryan--

--
RyGuy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Seems to me you should post this question in the Excel.Programming forum.
However, I'll venture an amateurish guess, based on my own limited
experience: Might it have something to do with the routine not being sure
which workbook made the call? I mean, I can't see your code so I can't be
sure I'm even close, but when I have more than one workbook open it pays me
to check either where the call is coming from, if the code is a user-written
workbook function, or at least which workbook is currently active, before
taking any action. So I've a vague notion that you might be using
insufficient qualification while populating your ComboBox; when there's only
one workbook open it doesn't get confused about which workbook the ComboBox
belongs to, but if there's more than one it uses some default decision that's
wrong, and your ComboBox doesn't get filled in properly.

By "qualification" I mean, of course, specifying the parent objects that own
your controls, if necessary all the way back to Application. I haven't fooled
with controls in Excel much - just a button or two - so I haven't a clear
picture in my mind of what you need. But are you referring to ComboBox1.etc,
or to
Application.Workbooks("MyBook.xls").Worksheets("Sh eet1").Cells(1,1).ComboBox1?
...Or whatever; the point is that if you're leaving something out, Excel may
be guessing - and guessing wrongly - at the parentage of the object you're
trying to manipulate.