Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Possible to extrapolate a value based on formatting?

Sort of reverse conditional formatting?

I know it's really stupid, but I'm helping out w/a legacy spreadsheet - a
list of IDs which have been 'hand-colored' one of three fill colors based on
one of three possible status codes (which codes are maintained in a
database). (Trying to talk them into a simple report or at least a data
extract from that db, etc., but....!)

ANYWAY - bottom line, in the interim: is there a way to check the formatting
to infer a value, headed toward counting totals for same, e.g. - count all
cells filled
red, count all cells filled yellow.

Thanx for your time!

Wendy HB
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'd use a userdefined function in another cell that relates to the color of the
fill.

Then I could use a formula like =sumif() based on the original range and that
helper column.

Chip Pearson has some code he
http://cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

And he also has a way to count or sum based on formatting:
Look for:
Counting Cells With A Specific Color
or
Summing The Values Of Cells With A Specific Color

on that same web site.

--

Dave Peterson