Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Age calculation with Thai and Swedish date formats

I am helping a NGO in Thailand and they want to automate the
calculation of ages of students that are being sponsored mostly by
swedish soponsors.. The birthdate will be entered in Thai style
format eg 13/02/2551 and then should be converted to the swedish
format which is julian is 2008/02/13 and then the age calculated from
the current date today()

In other words the goam is for the Thai staff get the dates from
children and enter them into the sheet which then displays the Julian
equivalent date 544 years earlier than the Thai date and then displays
the students age

when I setup the columns with the Thai and Swedish formats DATEDIF
doesn't work at all.
If I enter 10/02/2540 into a cell formated with Thai dates the cell
changes to 2/10/3083 ??

I think my problem is the relationship between the format and the
actual date conversion that needs to occur
thanks for any help

tom in Chiang Mai, Thailand

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The Thai format adds the 544 years automatically.
So you can do all your calculations as if the dates were Swedish. For displaying you choose Swedish or Thai, without having to
change calculations.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"twestheimer" wrote in message ...
|I am helping a NGO in Thailand and they want to automate the
| calculation of ages of students that are being sponsored mostly by
| swedish soponsors.. The birthdate will be entered in Thai style
| format eg 13/02/2551 and then should be converted to the swedish
| format which is julian is 2008/02/13 and then the age calculated from
| the current date today()
|
| In other words the goam is for the Thai staff get the dates from
| children and enter them into the sheet which then displays the Julian
| equivalent date 544 years earlier than the Thai date and then displays
| the students age
|
| when I setup the columns with the Thai and Swedish formats DATEDIF
| doesn't work at all.
| If I enter 10/02/2540 into a cell formated with Thai dates the cell
| changes to 2/10/3083 ??
|
| I think my problem is the relationship between the format and the
| actual date conversion that needs to occur
| thanks for any help
|
| tom in Chiang Mai, Thailand

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

<The Thai format adds the 544 years automatically

For display purposes only; the underlying value remains unchanged

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel