Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional format question..

Can't seem to figure this out...

Three columns of data.

If the value in column 1 is a text string that is "N/A" I want to format
cells, for that row, in column 2 & 3 (which will be empty of text) with a
border line that runs diagonally from top left to bottom right of each cell.

SS.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In my Excel 2000, Conditional Formatting does not allow you to have
diagonal borders - only outline borders or parts thereof. I'm not sure
if this has been changed in later versions.

Pete

On Feb 12, 7:02*am, "simon steel" wrote:
Can't seem to figure this out...

Three columns of data.

If the value in column 1 is a text string that is "N/A" I want to format
cells, for that row, in column 2 & 3 (which will be empty of text) with a
border line that runs diagonally from top left to bottom right of each cell.

SS.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Tue, 12 Feb 2008 07:02:34 -0000 from simon steel
:
If the value in column 1 is a text string that is "N/A" I want to
format cells, for that row, in column 2 & 3 (which will be empty of
text) with a border line that runs diagonally from top left to
bottom right of each cell.

I could be mistaken, but I think conditional formatting can do only
the interior of a cell, not its borders.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Pete

Still no change in this feature in Excel 2003

No diagonal borders in CF

Gord

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 01:20:06 -0800 (PST), Pete_UK wrote:

In my Excel 2000, Conditional Formatting does not allow you to have
diagonal borders - only outline borders or parts thereof. I'm not sure
if this has been changed in later versions.

Pete

On Feb 12, 7:02*am, "simon steel" wrote:
Can't seem to figure this out...

Three columns of data.

If the value in column 1 is a text string that is "N/A" I want to format
cells, for that row, in column 2 & 3 (which will be empty of text) with a
border line that runs diagonally from top left to bottom right of each cell.

SS.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In Excel 2003 also you can only set the outside boders using conditional
formatting, not the interior. However, you can use conditional formatting to
fill the cell with a pattern of diagonal lines from upper left to lower
right. To try it:

Select columns B & C.
Select Conditional Formatting from the Format menu.
Set the dropdown to "Formula Is".
In the formula box enter =($A1="N/A")
Click the Format button.
Select the Patterns tab, then click the Pattern dropdown.
Choose a pattern, then click OK until the conditional formatting dialog is
closed.

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"simon steel" wrote:

Can't seem to figure this out...

Three columns of data.

If the value in column 1 is a text string that is "N/A" I want to format
cells, for that row, in column 2 & 3 (which will be empty of text) with a
border line that runs diagonally from top left to bottom right of each cell.

SS.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Okay, thanks Gord.

Pete

On Feb 12, 6:39*pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
Pete

Still no change in this feature in Excel 2003

No diagonal borders in CF

Gord

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 01:20:06 -0800 (PST), Pete_UK wrote:
In my Excel 2000, Conditional Formatting does not allow you to have
diagonal borders - only outline borders or parts thereof. I'm not sure
if this has been changed in later versions.

Pete

On Feb 12, 7:02*am, "simon steel" wrote:
Can't seem to figure this out...

Three columns of data.

If the value in column 1 is a text string that is "N/A" I want to format
cells, for that row, in column 2 & 3 (which will be empty of text) with a
border line that runs diagonally from top left to bottom right of each cell.

SS.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hutch.

Thanks - had not thought of this..