Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DSV DSV is offline

Default Autofill not consistent in document

Autofill in a basic Excel document seems to be selective when moving from
cell to cell. In one cell it works fine and in another it doesn't recognize
an entry found many other times in the document. I've checked the "enable
autofill" box. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you actually mean "Autocomplete" and not "Autofill" then be aware that the
data must be contiguous in the same column above or below the cell you expect
the autocomplete to work.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:24:00 -0800, DSV wrote:

Autofill in a basic Excel document seems to be selective when moving from
cell to cell. In one cell it works fine and in another it doesn't recognize
an entry found many other times in the document. I've checked the "enable
autofill" box. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DSV DSV is offline

Yes, I do mean "Autocomplete". The issue does involve the same column. I
have even made sure that the caps were consistent, but it hasn't made any
difference. For example: It will enter "Sean" after entering an "S", but
when a "D" is entered nothing happens even though"Deboroh" is in the same
column many times.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

If you actually mean "Autocomplete" and not "Autofill" then be aware that the
data must be contiguous in the same column above or below the cell you expect
the autocomplete to work.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:24:00 -0800, DSV wrote:

Autofill in a basic Excel document seems to be selective when moving from
cell to cell. In one cell it works fine and in another it doesn't recognize
an entry found many other times in the document. I've checked the "enable
autofill" box. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you have any other names (words) in that column that start with "de"...
if so, auto-complete will not know which name you want, so I believe it
waits until only one possibility remains before showing it to you.

Rick

wrote:

Autofill in a basic Excel document seems to be selective when moving
from
cell to cell. In one cell it works fine and in another it doesn't
recognize
an entry found many other times in the document. I've checked the
"enable
autofill" box. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Autocomplete works in the background, using spare CPU cycles. If you have a
lot of data for Excel to search through, it's possible that it won't find
what you want as fast as you'd like, or it will give up before finding a
match.

Regards,
Fred

wrote:

Autofill in a basic Excel document seems to be selective when moving
from
cell to cell. In one cell it works fine and in another it doesn't
recognize
an entry found many other times in the document. I've checked the
"enable
autofill" box. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DSV DSV is offline

This seems to have been the problem. The document did have a lot of data,
so I removed some of the older data to a separate worksheet and it it's fine
now. You are a life saver! I will remember to keep to documents smaller
from now on. Thanks.

DSV