Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Trying to either hide data in a cell or reduce the data to zero

I am setting up a balance sheet and I have data in columns "E" and "F" that
show income and outgoings then in column "G" I have a balance. To get this
balance I use the formula:

=SUM(G6+F7-E7) and then drag the fomula down column "G".

However this leaves the total for that entry in cell "G5" to copy down
column "G" as well.

I tried using this fomula:

=IF(OR((E7="0"),(F7="0")),"",E7-F7)

Which hides the cell data which is fine but i want to incorporate the
previous balance (in the cell above (E6)) when i do that in the formula below:

=IF(OR((E7="0"),(F7="0")),"",G6+E7-F7)

It Just displays the total down column "G" as before

Is there a way to stop this happening or a way to trick excel in to changing
the unwanted data to "0" so I can hide it?

I hope you understand this Question I am really confused (and so might you
be) any help at all is greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

If I understood your problem ...
1. In cell G1 : =F1-E1
2. In cell G2 : =G1+F2-E2

and then from G2 downwards just copy formula ...

HTH
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Remove the quotes from around the 0's in your formula.

The quotes make them text values and your formula won't find them.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP