Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF formula from range

Hi, have been breaking my head on this, i think it's simple, but can't seeem
to figure it out:

I have a list of songs. There are three types of songs - fast, medium and
slow.
These have already been categorized and put into columns with headings of F,
M and S.

What i need is, whenever i paste songs into an excel sheet i need the column
after that to show automatically F, M or S using my categorized list as a
reference.

I've tried using IF, but am not able to use it with a range i.e the
categorized columns. Or am i off the mark? Should i convert the list to 3
different databases or something?

Please help... :(
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can you explain how you " paste songs into an excel sheet "? If this
is a straight copy/paste then can't you include the "speed" cell at
the same time?

If you want a formula solution, then you would normally use VLOOKUP
for this - check it out in Excel Help.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 7, 12:14*pm, Sharmon wrote:
Hi, have been breaking my head on this, i think it's simple, but can't seeem
to figure it out:

I have a list of songs. There are three types of songs - fast, medium and
slow.
These have already been categorized and put into columns with headings of F,
M and S.

What i need is, whenever i paste songs into an excel sheet i need the column
after that to show automatically F, M or S using my categorized list as a
reference.

I've tried using IF, but am not able to use it with a range i.e the
categorized columns. Or am i off the mark? Should i convert the list to 3
different databases or something?

Please help... :(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

use vlookup

assuming your data is on sheet2!a1:b1000

=vlookup(a1,sheet2!a1:a1000,2,false)

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"Sharmon" escreveu:

Hi, have been breaking my head on this, i think it's simple, but can't seeem
to figure it out:

I have a list of songs. There are three types of songs - fast, medium and
slow.
These have already been categorized and put into columns with headings of F,
M and S.

What i need is, whenever i paste songs into an excel sheet i need the column
after that to show automatically F, M or S using my categorized list as a
reference.

I've tried using IF, but am not able to use it with a range i.e the
categorized columns. Or am i off the mark? Should i convert the list to 3
different databases or something?

Please help... :(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use a vlookup function
Refering to the cell where the song is being pasted, and returning the value
Fast Medium or slow from the table where it was classified.
Example

A B C
D E

Newsong =vlookup(a1,c1:D1,2,False) Newsong Slow

B1 will return slow

--
If this posting was helpful, please click on the Yes button.
Regards,

Michael Arch.