Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default counting data in columns with linked cells

I have a spreadsheet with numerous columns of data containing dates linked
from other spreadsheets. I'm using the "counta" to count the rows containing
data in each column, but my problem is every row is being counted whether it
contains data or is blank.

Appreciate anyone's assistance in solving this.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Bernie

Because you have a formula in the cell which pulls data from another sheet,
Counta is counting this.
As the results of the formula, when true, will be dates which will be serial
numbers, try
=COUNTIF(A:A,"0")

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Bernie R." <Bernie wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with numerous columns of data containing dates linked
from other spreadsheets. I'm using the "counta" to count the rows
containing
data in each column, but my problem is every row is being counted whether
it
contains data or is blank.

Appreciate anyone's assistance in solving this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are the dates numbers so that when linked to an empty cell it will return a
zero
if so you can use

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"0")

if text change the link formula to (adapt to fit you own references)

=IF(A2="","",A2)

as an example, if A2 is blank it will return a blank and not zero

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A20<""))

Peo Sjoblom

"Bernie R." <Bernie wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with numerous columns of data containing dates linked
from other spreadsheets. I'm using the "counta" to count the rows
containing
data in each column, but my problem is every row is being counted whether
it
contains data or is blank.

Appreciate anyone's assistance in solving this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That worked; however, I got a curve ball thrown at me. If there are "NA" in
the cell(s), I don't want to count them or the blanks; and then take the "NA"
out of the demoninator when caluculating percentages for that column.