Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting dates in columns in a linked spreadsheet

I have a spreadsheet that contains linked rows of data. Most of the data in
each column consists of dates. At the top of each column I'm using the
COUNTA function to total the entries in each column. Problem that I'm having
is in some columns it is counting every row in that column whether it has a
date or not. I linked the spreadsheet with: =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use the COUNT function to count dates (assuming they're true Excel dates).

True Excel dates are really just numbers formatted to look like dates.

A1 = 1/1/2008
A2 = text
A3 = 1/31/2008
A4 = #VALUE!