c_prenderville

Default Text formula

Hey,
I would like a formula whereby I can string together text strings in an
excel database together
i.e. I have two columns, "question number" and "answer"... and a long list
of entries (each question number coming up several times with different
answers)
Now I want to have all the answers for question 8 as a text string in a new
cell...
How do I do it?
Would appreciate a quick answer... thanks

Jason Morin

No, you really don't want all the answers in one cell.
But might I suggest trying an AutoFilter. To learn more,
see:

http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

I would like a formula whereby I can string together

text strings in an
excel database together
i.e. I have two columns, "question number"

and "answer"... and a long list
of entries (each question number coming up several times

with different
answers)
Now I want to have all the answers for question 8 as a

text string in a new
cell...
How do I do it?
Would appreciate a quick answer... thanks

.

easy

If you'll use the same form again, you can form a worksheet with formulas,
then pastin' the answers will be enough to make answers be grouped

A B C
Question No: Answer:
1. answer.1 =(IF(A1=1;b1;"")
=concatenate(b1;b2;....;b12)
2. answer.2 =(IF(A2=1;b2;"")
3 answer.3 ....
1 answer.4 ....
2 answer.5 ....
3 answer.6 ....
1 answer.7
2 answer.8
3 answer.9
1 answer.10
2 answer.11
3 answer.12

it's enough to write formula in one cell, then pullin' the "+" will copy the
formula to selected cells
with this manner it won't take more than 2 min' to prepare the whole
worksheet
(this example is only for question no.1)

attention: concatenate function works up to 30 cells, if more than
30answers, use more concatenate