Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count Dates?

Can anyone advise how to count the number of cells containing dates in the
range A1:A1000. Is there a condition I can use in COUNTIF?

If it helps, the dates are customer formatted as dd.mm.yy

Many thanks,

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That is a bit difficult as a date is just a number, so testing the value 1
would say that is a valid date.

This formula counts the cells A1:A10 that have numbers that equate to dates
between 1st Jan 2000 and today. Adjust to suit

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH(ROW(INDIRECT(--"2000-01-01"&":"&TODAY())),A1:A10,0)))

--
---
HTH

Bob

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote in message
Can anyone advise how to count the number of cells containing dates in the
range A1:A1000. Is there a condition I can use in COUNTIF?

If it helps, the dates are customer formatted as dd.mm.yy

Many thanks,

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You could just use something like...

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"01/01/1920")

Hope this helps,

Gav.

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote:

Can anyone advise how to count the number of cells containing dates in the
range A1:A1000. Is there a condition I can use in COUNTIF?

If it helps, the dates are customer formatted as dd.mm.yy

Many thanks,

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excel uses numbers to represent dates. Jan. 1, 1900 is day 1, Jan 2, 1900 is
day 2. Jan 1, 1950 is day 18,264. Jan 1 2008 is day 39,448. Today, Feb 1,
2008 is day 39,479. A fast way to see the number for a date is to enter the
date in a cell then press Ctrl+Accent Grave - the leftmost key in the top
row. Press Ctrl+Accent Grave again to return to normal. Excel uses the
numbers 1 (Jan 1, 1900) through 2,958,465 (Dec. 31, 9999) to represent
dates. So you can see the problem. Is a number a number or a date? It
depends on how you interpret it. You can use those numbers for calculations
or format them as dates.

Tyro

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote in message
Can anyone advise how to count the number of cells containing dates in the
range A1:A1000. Is there a condition I can use in COUNTIF?

If it helps, the dates are customer formatted as dd.mm.yy

Many thanks,

Jason

COUNT IF BETWEEN DATES kathi Excel Worksheet Functions 7 February 15th 06 04:14 PM
need to convert list of dates to count no. of dates by week neowok Excel Worksheet Functions 13 January 30th 06 03:54 PM
count dates rabol New Users to Excel 3 March 6th 05 06:25 PM
How do a count dates? Aviator Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 January 5th 05 04:17 PM
How do a count dates? Peo Sjoblom Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 December 27th 04 05:13 PM