Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to find next value in upper row?

I have a table with 5 columns and about 30 rows. A containes litres, B
kilometres, C average consumption in 100 km, D additive litres and E should
have additives average consumption in 100 km. Problem is that additive is
refueled in various periods and in between there might be 3-9 empty cells. I
have also considered to add 1 column first on left which has dates, if this
has any impact to formula-case.

How do I make formula that finds next upper value and calculates total km
between refilling additive? I have tried IF(ISBLANK(OFFSET... and
IF(ISVALUE(FIND... IF(ISERROR(... but so far nothing works.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can you post a sample that illustrates what you want?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"NeedToKnow" wrote in message
I have a table with 5 columns and about 30 rows. A containes litres, B
kilometres, C average consumption in 100 km, D additive litres and E
should
have additives average consumption in 100 km. Problem is that additive is
refueled in various periods and in between there might be 3-9 empty cells.
have also considered to add 1 column first on left which has dates, if
this
has any impact to formula-case.

How do I make formula that finds next upper value and calculates total km
between refilling additive? I have tried IF(ISBLANK(OFFSET... and
IF(ISVALUE(FIND... IF(ISERROR(... but so far nothing works.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

km total litre total kk av.c. ADD litre total ADD kk av.c.
6 114 3 969 64,9 187,0

km litre average cons. ADD L ADD av.c.
800 220 58,8
1100 200 66,7
1500 260 65,0 50,0 ???
1920 300 71,4
2340 270 64,3
2760 250 59,5
3180 290 69,0 48,0 ???
3600 270 64,3

Here are ??? where I need to have average consumption counted based on 48 L
/ ( (3180 km - 1500 km)/100) and the problem is how to seach last addition
filling and count the driven km in between.

Hopefully this clears little. First 2 rows are total for this month and all
but km and L cells are locked from daily user.

I know this can't be so difficult but somehow I'm stuck to think always the
same. :-/
"T. Valko" kirjoitti:

Can you post a sample that illustrates what you want?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"NeedToKnow" wrote in message
I have a table with 5 columns and about 30 rows. A containes litres, B
kilometres, C average consumption in 100 km, D additive litres and E
should
have additives average consumption in 100 km. Problem is that additive is
refueled in various periods and in between there might be 3-9 empty cells.
have also considered to add 1 column first on left which has dates, if
this
has any impact to formula-case.

How do I make formula that finds next upper value and calculates total km
between refilling additive? I have tried IF(ISBLANK(OFFSET... and
IF(ISVALUE(FIND... IF(ISERROR(... but so far nothing works.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assume this data is in the range A2:D9 -

800 220 58,8 0
1100 200 66,7
1500 260 65,0 50,0
1920 300 71,4
2340 270 64,3
2760 250 59,5
3180 290 69,0 48,0
3600 270 64,3

Enter a 0 in D2 (like I have above)

Enter this formula E3 and copy down as needed:

=IF(D3="","",(A3-LOOKUP(1E100,D$2:D2,A$2:A2))/D3)

Your first average is 50/((1500-800)/100)
The 2nd average is 48/((3180-1500)/100)

--

"T. Valko" kirjoitti:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ooops! I posted the wrong formula in my previous reply.

Use this formula:

=IF(D3="","",D3/((A3-LOOKUP(1E100,D$2:D2,A$2:A2))/100))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" kirjoitti:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See this screencap:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7415/monture5.jpg

If the formula is returning the incorrect results what results do you
expect?

The formula follows your description of:

based on 48 L / ( (3180 km - 1500 km)/100)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"NeedToKnow" wrote in message
Also this gives error #N/A, but thank you for trying to solve my problem.
just keep wondering until it's done, bacause I know now I'm getting closer
:)

"T. Valko" kirjoitti:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

My apologies! Now if ever I feel so stupid... :(

I have been writing =IF(D3="","",D3/((A3-LOOKUP(1E+100,D$2:D2,A$2:A2))/100))
adding + between 1E and 100 and now when I cheked it I saw it in 0,5 seconds.

Hugs and have a nice weekend!

"T. Valko" kirjoitti:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, glad to hear you got it straightened out!

When I write formulas using these expressions: 1E100, I write it just like
that and when you hit ENTER Excel will automatically convert it to 1E+100.