Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Zak Zak is offline

Default Assigning macro to toolbar - only works sometimes!

I have recorded a few macros for my colleague, i have sent the file across in
which the macro was coded and have advised my colleague to assign the macro
to a toolbar button.

He assigned the macro to a toolbar button but finds that each week he needs
to run the macro he has to copy and paste the new info in the old file (in
which the macro was created) and then run the macro because if he doesnt do
this and clicks the smiley face (where the macro is assigned) he gets a
message 'macro cannot be found' - because the macro was obviosuly not
recorded in this file.. but how can i make it so the macro works all the
times.. so he doesnt have to copy and paste over the old data all the time
just because the macro sits in that file.. it should work now all the time
because the macro has been asssigned to a toolbar button, right?

At one point he found that even when he did copy and paste the info from new
to old, the toolbar assigned macro didnt work and said 'file cannot be found'.

please advise.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi
Assigning it to a toolbar icon don't not make available to all files.
in order for a macro to run, the file in which the macro resides must be open.
the macro does not have to been in the file in which it is running unless
the file is mentioned by name.
many people have personal macros that they need frequently for any file.
they place these macros in a personal.xls file and put the personal.xls file
in the xl start folder. the personal.xls file opens(hidden) when xl opens and
all macros are available for any file. have your colleague try somthing like
that.

regards
FSt1

"Zak" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Zak Zak is offline

I have just tried a macro recorded in a personal.xls workbook but the
problem is that if the user accidently clicks on the wrong button on the
toolbar the change will be made even thought it was not meant to!

"Zak" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi
you'll have that problem no matter where the macro is at. but if you want
the macro to run for any file, the file containing the macro must be open.

regards
FSt1

"Zak" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Zak Zak is offline

I have now emailed the file with the macro to my colleague, she has assigned
the macro to a toolbar button. When she runs the macro it runs fine -
providing the file with the macro recorded in it is always open, if its not
open excel opens it for me!

I know you said the file with the macro in it should be open for it to work
anywhere but is there not a way for it to work without the file being open?

Everyweek this macro is used on a fresh set of data, the macro is assigned
to the toolbar so all my colleague has to do is click on the button and it
will make the changes.. but it either opens up the file with the macro or
requires its already opened.

This doesnt seem very professional, please advise if there is another way.
At present all my macros are recorded in modules.. should this change to
something else?

Please advise.

thanks.