Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Offsetting and HLOOKUP

Here's what I've got set up:
A table of timesheet hours. The first row are date fields, which are merged
cells spanning 4 columns. Underneath each date field, the individual columns
are for different types of chargeable time: Reg, OT, DT, Travel. Down the
table are rows for each employee.

Now, on another worksheet, I want to populate the cells with the values off
of the big "master" table. One worksheet for each day, with a date field at
the top of the sheet which will match the dates at the top of the master
table.

Now, because the date fields are merged over 4 columns, when I use the
HLOOKUP function, I can only pull out the values from the first column (of
the 4). That's the Reg column.

How do I go about HLOOKUP-ing the remaining columns? Is there someway to
offset the cell that is returned by the HLOOKUP formula? Such that the
formula for the OT column would be OFFSET(1 column,
HLOOKUP(date,array,row#,false)). I know that's not a real formula, but
that's what I'm trying to do.

Thanks,
KellyB
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What exactly are you "looking up" ?

The employee name for a certain date and a certain type? Or, the employee
name for a certain date and *all* types?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"KellyB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I want to take the hours from the big data table, and populate separate
worksheets, one sheet for each day. I want to use the same sheet over and
over again, I'll just change the date at the top, and all of the HLOOKUPs
will populate the sheet with the data from the big table.

My problem is that HLOOKUP will only grab the data from the first column
(Regular time), and not from the other 3 adjacent columns. What I need is a
way to offset, so that once HLOOKUP finds the correct set of 4 columns
(because the date is at the top in a merged cell), then I can grab the data
from all 4 columns, and not just the first one.

Thanks,
KB

"KellyB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See if this sample file helps:

DeleteMe3.xls 15kb

http://cjoint.com/?bDhzCFAh5T

Change the date in B12 to get the desired data.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP