Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how do I do conditional formatting for absolute values?

I am trying to set up conditional formatting so that an absolute value
greater than 3 will change the cell background color to red. I have tried:
=(abs(f5))3 with f5 being the cell location.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how do I do conditional formatting for absolute values?

To set up conditional formatting for absolute values in Microsoft Excel, follow these steps:
  1. Select the cell or range of cells that you want to apply the conditional formatting to.
  2. Click on the "Conditional Formatting" button in the "Home" tab of the ribbon.
  3. Choose "New Rule" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "New Formatting Rule" dialog box, select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format".
  5. In the "Format values where this formula is true" field, enter the formula:
    Formula:
    =ABS(F5)
    (assuming F5 is the cell you want to apply the formatting to).
  6. Click on the "Format" button to choose the formatting options you want to apply, such as the background color.
  7. Click "OK" to close the "Format Cells" dialog box.
  8. Click "OK" again to close the "New Formatting Rule" dialog box.

Now, any cell in the selected range that has an absolute value greater than 3 will have the formatting applied to it. You can adjust the formula and formatting options as needed for your specific needs.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Carol

Formula is
=ABS($F$5)3

works for me and this can go in F5 or any other cell

Mike

"Carol" wrote:

I am trying to set up conditional formatting so that an absolute value
greater than 3 will change the cell background color to red. I have tried:
=(abs(f5))3 with f5 being the cell location.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=ABS(F5)3 works for me.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:34:02 -0800, Carol
wrote:

I am trying to set up conditional formatting so that an absolute value
greater than 3 will change the cell background color to red. I have tried:
=(abs(f5))3 with f5 being the cell location.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The formula is OK, though you can omit the outher pair of parentheses. You
need to remember, however, to put it under "Formula Is", rather than "Cell
Value Is". If in doubt, go back into CF and check that the formula is as
you intended it. Excel has a nasty habit of changing things, for example
changing the formula to a string if you forgot the initial = sign.
--
David Biddulph