Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Compare value in current cell to previous cell

Hello, I've got an Excel spreadsheet with a single column. The cells
contain a date & time (m/d/yyyy h:mm:ss). I'd like to compare the value in
cell A2 to A1, then A3 to A2, A4 to A3, etc. to determine if it's a
"duplicate" or "different".

Can you help?

THANK YOU

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could do it with a formula in another column, but a simple
solution is to use conditional formatting:
Select cell A2
Select Format/Conditional Formatting...
Change condition to Formula
Type formula as =a1=a2
Change format (maybe using pattern and making it red would stand out
for you)
Use the format painter to add that formula to the rest of the values

On Jan 24, 2:38 pm, Bob Aloisi
wrote:
Hello, I've got an Excel spreadsheet with a single column. The cells
contain a date & time (m/d/yyyy h:mm:ss). I'd like to compare the value in
cell A2 to A1, then A3 to A2, A4 to A3, etc. to determine if it's a
"duplicate" or "different".

Can you help?

THANK YOU

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

FYI - I'm not Chip

There is all kinds of information on Chip's site about dealing with duplicates
Since you appear to want a formula, put this in B2 and copy it down

=if(A1=A2,"Duplicate","Different")